Fall colors vs. Deer hunters

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
STRETCHMAN
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Fall colors vs. Deer hunters

Post by STRETCHMAN »

I will be going up to the Eastern Sierra to photograph the fall colors. Going the first week of October. I understand at that time the Deer hunting season is also taking place at the same time.
I will be going to the Bishop Creek area along with McGee canyon, June Lake, and Lundy Canyon.
If I go off of the beaten path to take some photo's should I be worried about hunters in the area?
Should I have on light colored clothing so I can be seen? Or am I worried about nothing. :eek:
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Fall colors vs. Deer hunters

Post by rlown »

I'm leaving for a trip to Trinity on Sept 23rd. The Weaverville Ranger station warned me that it is hunting season there. We're all wearing Blaze orange hats at least; Safety Blaze orange vests as well.
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

The canyons you mention are all VERY popular fall recreation areas. I have never seen a hunter outside of their vehicle in any of those areas. I have seen them along the road near McGee Mtn. but not up the trail. That said, it still would be smart to avoid brown furry clothing and use caution if you wander far cross country.

BTW, the colors are just getting started, but seem to be coming on fast.

John
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

actually, i'm a backpacking hunter. not doing a pack train. I still recommend if you are in a huntable wilderness during the fall season, which for the most part starts this weekend (depending on hunting zone), you wear something orange. Moosetracks headgear would not be recommended as you've never an idea who is out there.
STRETCHMAN
Topix Acquainted

Post by STRETCHMAN »

Thanks guys for your help. I guess on this trip I will leave my "Fur" coat at home and take
something a little brighter. If it was'nt cold out I could just take off my shirt and expose my
bright white skin (would not want to scare the other photographers off).
Bad Man From Bodie
Topix Regular

Post by Bad Man From Bodie »

Unlike our eastern whitetail deer hunting cousins, the mule deer hunter typically uses the spot and stalk method rather than the sit and wait method in heavy timber or brush. The spot and stalk method allows one to actually see the target before they go trampling off into the brush after it. I wouldn’t worry about getting shot to much :cool: , but don’t go wearing any antlers or you may get mistaken :snipe: :D .
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

John, I can't make it over there until October 10th. Think that will be too late?