What are your favorite lakes in the Sierra?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
pat h
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: What are your favorite lakes in the Sierra?

Post by pat h »

Cecile (on the Minaret Loop)
Waca (in Desolation Wilderness)
Wanda (for unexplained phenomena at dusk)
Hilton Lakes #7 + #8
The last Big Pine Lake #7? (I forget)
Snow Lakes (above 4th Recess)
ndwoods
Founding Member

Post by ndwoods »

Hm...it was a few years ago. We did climb up thru a steepening meadow. There was a stream we followed that widened into lakes, there was granite on the north side and volcanics on the south side....I don't think it is fed from the west...not near my map to look tho.:)
And, we went past the lakes to an off trail pass that was amazing...just south of another pass that was"trailed" again passing lakes along the way.
Dee
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bad Man From Bodie
Topix Regular

Post by Bad Man From Bodie »

1)Mono Lk,
2)Parker LK
3)Little Walker LK
4)Anna LK
5)Ladder LK
6)Lost Lakes/1000 Island
7)Tilden/Mary LK
8)Dana LK
9)Burrow LK
10)Honeywell LK
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Cross Country »

I taught art for 5-6 years. In one of my classes where I was a student my teacher presented his point of view that I came to basically agree with. The idea that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, while basically true is not a complete nor universal explanation of beauty. Objectivity and criterion play a their part. Mass bloody murder, I believe, is objectively ugly (visually). I think that some colors go together beautifully and others do not and I can explain why. I was a high school and community college musician with some talent, ability and knowledge (and a Music minor) and I can explain what makes some sounds and music objectively pleasing (beauty) and others not.
Lakes, however are very difficulty to objectify, but it's not totally implausible to do so to some reasonable level. However I don't claim to have anything like a significant amount of answers. I would rather pose questions and introduce ideas.
To my favorite lakes (visually): Of the Lakes already mentioned my favorite is probably 10232 in Goddard Canyon or maybe Bench (Arrow peak is just so awesome to me)
I'm going to make a favorites list attempting to not use any lakes already mentioned.

Sphinx
Upper Glacier (up copper creek)
Cartridge pass Lake (great view across to Bench - Arrow peak area)
Hangst (I hope I spelled this right) Lake. It's the lake under Eagle Scout Peak.

Upper Florence* (with a little snow) Its close to the Lyle fork of the Merced River.
A tarn* near the headwaters of the Lyle Fork of the Merced looking up toward Electra (I think) Peak

Cirque (near Apollo and Orchid)
Guest (out of Courtright)
Schoolmarm (ditto)
Hell for Sure Lake

* These two photos are hanging in my kitchen.

I hope I got these lake in the right location groupings.
mr.kurt
Topix Acquainted

Post by mr.kurt »

pat h wrote:Cecile (on the Minaret Loop)
Waca (in Desolation Wilderness)
Wanda (for unexplained phenomena at dusk)
Hilton Lakes #7 + #8
The last Big Pine Lake #7? (I forget)
Snow Lakes (above 4th Recess)
I've spent a couple of nights at Wanda Lake, and while I do agree how incredibly beautiful it is, I'm not sure if I noticed this 'unexplained phenomena at dusk' that Pat describes. Can somebody explain this for me?

-Kurt
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

I am not sure about Yosemite, but based on natural setting and beauty, and personal visits, not necessarily the fishing.....

Bench Lake- west of Taboose Pass
Dragon Lake
Bullfrog Lake
Sapphire Lake
Big Pine Lakes
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

Re: My favorite Lakes, I should include one more. It's only logical that no matter what I think it makes sense to me that my favorite lake must have been the one I went to the most. That would be Laurel but it isn't. How many places can one BP to and get good fishing in May. Also it's on the way to what is probably my favorite which is Edyth (Edith). It's isolated, very scenic from the right camp - site, great weather and good fishing with a waterfall nearby. I went to Edith at least 9 times.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Cross Country on Sun May 16, 2010 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hikerchick395
Topix Regular

Post by hikerchick395 »

Some of my favorites...if I told ya, I'd have to kill ya.

Lots of lovlies listed above.

As for personally most visited favorite lakes...Duck Lake, for the fishing, and the lakes of Little Lakes Valley, just for my fix close to home. Both places over 30 visits (understatement there...last summer...2 times to Duck Lake and 9 visits to LLV.)
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

When a friend and I did a Muir trail section from Duck Pass to Bishop Pass a couple of years ago, we went by Duck on the way to Purple Lake, and didn't even dip a line. I "knew" that big old deep lake had to have some fishing in it. Sounds like its worth a return visit....
ndwoods
Founding Member

Post by ndwoods »

How can you choose????
Ok.
Best swim-Lake on the w side of Colby pass, maybe called Colby Lake.
Best view - Arrowhead Lake, just N of Rae Lakes, camp s end looking north
Funnest hiking-btwn Devil's punchbowl and the western lakes
Prettiest-one of those western lakes....
Most fun if you have kids along-Kibbie Lake
Nicest camping spots-Peter Pande
Most fav of all time....sorry...:):):), I will tell you it's on the High Sierra Route tho...:)
Last edited by ndwoods on Wed May 12, 2010 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;