Complete the PCT Saturday

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Hetchy
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Complete the PCT Saturday

Post by Hetchy »

Hello Gang! :D
After a rather brutal but beautiful traverse through the Galcier Peak Wilderness I now stand just 80 miles from the Canadian Border! :D
This past section through Glacier was rugged. The trail was rockbound, and tread was poor by Sierra trail standards. In fact some of the trail was totally missing due to slides and washouts. I will say the river crossing on the Suiattle was no sweat compared to the Sierra creeks like Kerrick and Falls creek are in May. The forest up here is the thing of legends. Sphagum moss covers everything at times and it rained for 3 days making the huckleberry and blueberry bushes like a carwash for us hikers. I even got snowed on and had to make an emergency camp at Suiattle pass to avoid hypothermia.. it was EPIC! :D
Washington is very beautiful but rugged in a daunting way. The SAR boys up here claim they generally just remove bodies out of there, rarely live folks! :eek:
Any how the last bit north is said to be awesome ridge walking. The weather is supposed to be rather nice as well. I am planning to head out tomorrow morning and will cross the border Saturday afternoon!
I won't bother to make a comparison between the Washington PCT and that which passes through the Sierra, but I will say.. We are SO lucky to have such accesible wilderness in California! :D
YEEHAA! Next stop Canada.. EH!
Cheers-Hetchy
You can make more money, but you can't make more time.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Complete the PCT Saturday

Post by Shawn »

Hey Hetch -

That's awesome, an early "congratulations" to you for an amazing feat. Afetr all, seems as though you just started.
Hikin Mike
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by Hikin Mike »

Wow!

Are you going to write a book now? :D
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Hikin Mike wrote:Wow!

Are you going to write a book now? :D
I'd buy it. :)
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

An early congrats to you aka Hetchy, aka iceaxe, aka ?! I'm sure it must be exhilarating even nearing this accomplishment, let alone finishing. Enjoy it, appreciate it, and relish in it. :partyman: