E Ridge Russell v Rock Route Clyde

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
nmba1gi
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

E Ridge Russell v Rock Route Clyde

Post by nmba1gi »

I dayhiked East Ridge Mt Russell a few weeks ago; now have my sights set on Rock Route of Clyde Minaret (not a dayhike). Can anyone out there compare and contrast the two routes in any significant way? i will be soloing. Thanks much
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert

Re: E Ridge Russell v Rock Route Clyde

Post by mokelumnekid »

Can't help you on Clyde but question about Russell: did you retrace your steps or go down the class 4 route at the end? I haven't done this (yet) but maybe 2010...beta welcome!
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Re: E Ridge Russell v Rock Route Clyde

Post by giantbrookie »

mokelumnekid wrote:Can't help you on Clyde but question about Russell: did you retrace your steps or go down the class 4 route at the end? I haven't done this (yet) but maybe 2010...beta welcome!
George, I haven't done Russell (or Clyde) either, but I am aware of some very detailed reports of the east ridge ("standard") route that are posted in several places online. I know if you go back far enough on the archives on this board there are at least two detailed reports of the E. Ridge. The best place I know of is the usual climber.org, and I'm sure summitpost has a bunch of reports, too. I know that there are also reports on the Whitney Portal Store message board. I also have some friends that have done Russell's east ridge. The usual description I hear is that it would hardly be class 3, except for the stupendous (and continual) exposure and most folks I know retrace and descend the E. ridge.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;