Crap/junk you have found in the back country?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Crap/junk you have found in the back country?

Post by mokelumnekid »

What junk/stuff have you found in the backcountry? Outside of a few old weather balloons, these are the largest item. Obviously old and stashed in deep brush along the south fork Kings, west of the JMT. Right at the eastern edge of the second large rockslide to be specific. Old style wood core and waxables with broken/shattered tip, and a three-pin front binding (!). LONG way to post-hole out if you lose your skis.....

ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Crap/junk you have found in the back country?

Post by ERIC »

great topic.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
trav867
Topix Regular

Post by trav867 »

What a find! I've never found anything beyond the usual balloons, socks, and old tin cans.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

Most items that comes to mind is the usual junk I carry out when I see it: balloons, clothing scraps, etc....I did fid a huge metal grill in northern yosemite this summer (not the thin light kind, but thick metal), most likely to cook fish on, then the idiot bailed on carrying it out.

Can't help but wonder about the story behind those skis :-k
Hikin Mike
Founding Member

Post by Hikin Mike »

Found some party balloons years ago. I've seen lots of old miner equipment, but I'm not carrying that! :lol:
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

A helium balloon with a note inside, from a 3rd grade class from Eureka, CA. The note asked for details about who/where/when found etc.

We wrote a very detailed account and sent it. Later, a very nice thank you note signed by about thirty kids arrived in the mail, with details of all the balloon replies enclosed. Just doing my part for grade school science projects :)

Remote part of Plumas NF, Buck Wilderness. About a mile from the nearest trail, in a steep thick brushfield -- a folding stepladder. :confused: Never did figger that one out.

An old inflate-a-date. I left it there, looked used. There is some trash I won't pick up.

A stash of cast iron cookware (pots, dutch oven, grate) near a fairly well used lake. Someone had carefully cached and hidden it to avoid packing it in and out.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert

Post by mokelumnekid »

Okay going to restart this thread- yes I did "find" this in the backcountry in part because I was not far away and saw it go down; summer of 1980 I recall (or was it '79?). Location is somewhere in the general vicinity of the East Fork Carson River but I don't recall exactly where- but my guess is directly west of Dumont's Meadow.

Luckily no one was injured, it didn't fall very far as it was a failure on take-off. I was told the wreckage was lifted-out shortly after the accident. Bunch of fat geologists (like me) and their rocks. Anybody else find stuff like this hiding out there?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

Yikes :eek: mokelumnekid. Notwithstanding poopin' their knickers, they appear to have been lucky to have walked away from that mess.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

How about the opposite: what have you left in the backcountry. To get the confessional rolling, I have to make the following admission: I left Trail Crest this year with my (full) wag bag firmly stuffed into the outside pocket of my pack. I arrived at Trail Camp with an empty outside pocket. Ew!

Now, I'm a pretty conscientious leave-no-tracer, but I confess here and now that my consceientiousness knows some bounds, and retracing my steps up the 100 switchbacks is beyond those bounds. So, my apologies to my compatriots in the wilderness, and the next time I find someone else's wag-bag, I promise I'll pick it up and carry it out.

:(
—B²
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert

Post by mokelumnekid »

I haven't left much of anything (yet). But here's another snap of fallen bird pictured above.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.