Onion Valley to Baxter Pass Trailhead?

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
imnxcguy
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Onion Valley to Baxter Pass Trailhead?

Post by imnxcguy »

I'm trying to do a quick loop next week to re-supply some friends on the JMT. Was planning on hiking in via Baxter Pass, spending a couple of days and coming out over Kearsarge to Onion Valley. Is hitchhiking from Onion Valley to Independence to Baxter Pass trailhead even an option? One thought I had was to leave a mt. bike up at Onion Valley and then ride down to Independence and then back up to the trailhead, but I might be biting off more than I want to chew (after a 12 mile day coming out). Cheap shuttles? Any ideas?
Thanks,
Mark
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Onion Valley to Baxter Pass Trailhead?

Post by fishmonger »

September to Baxter Pass trailhead? You'd be lucky to get a ride up there any time in peak season.

call Bob Ennis if he drives up to that pass - may be worth the shuttle dollars.
BrianF
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by BrianF »

After once having to walk from 395 to the Taboose Pass trailhead one very hot August afternoon, I would highly recommend you don't count on hitchiking up to the trailhead, unless you can find a very sympathetic ride at onion valley.
The direction you are moving in is what matters, not the place you happen to be -Colin Fletcher
imnxcguy
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by imnxcguy »

Shuttle service is pretty dang expensive. For that price, I might just go in and out over Kearsarge, and hike the extra distance. Thanks.