Thanksgiving Peak bagging

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
jay2010
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Thanksgiving Peak bagging

Post by jay2010 »

Hi

I'd like to do peak bagging in Sierra during Thanksgiving this year (class 1-2 peaks).

I have used crampons and an ice axe on Whitney, but that's the only snow hike I have done.
Campground such as Big Meadow Campground near Taylor Dome and Pilot Knob is not open in November. So, I'm not sure which peak I can climb during Thanksgiving. I searched campground info & read trip reports online, but haven't found enough information to decide which peak to climb.

I'm also considering to backpack Glen Aulin/Thousand Lakes area in Yosemite.

If you have done hiking in Sierra/in Glen Aulin/Thousand Lakes in late November, please share your experience (route + base camp info)!!

Thank you~

Jay
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Thanksgiving Peak bagging

Post by copeg »

That time of year can be incredible, and can also be very dangerous. You should be prepared for full-on winter conditions: 4-season tent, warm sleeping bag (~0F), and (depending on conditions) snowshoes/skis, extra fuel to melt snow for water, knowledge in reading snow covered terrain (where creeks and lakes are underneath snow, avalanche zones, etc...). Also be prepared for very short days. This far in advance it is hard to say how things will shape up to be around thanksgiving: could be snow all over, or could be dry as a bone (one thing is for sure it will be cold).
Many road will be closed at that time, and if 120 to Glen Aulin is not, there is no overnight parking allowed that time of year. You may want to consider a very short trip, one with an easy bail-out plan. Little Lakes Valley near Mammoth is the first that comes to mind. Mt Dade (amongst others) is there to bag should conditions allow.
Hope this helps some.
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

I second the motion on being prepared for anything on a November trip. The coldest weather I have ever experienced in the Sierra was on a Thanksgiving trip.
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Post by East Side Hiker »

This Thanksgiving I bagged a 3,000' peak next to Mt Diablo. No snow, no rain, and a clear view of Pyramid and Talack Peaks. Sometimes the Sierra doesn't work, but high spots are high spots and they are all rewarding if you want them to be.