Which Lakes in the Mono Divide?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Which Lakes in the Mono Divide?

Post by maverick »

For those of you who have also travelled extensively in the Mono Divide, which lakes
have been the most memorable in terms of beauty, not only the lake itself, but
also its surroundings?
Pioneer Basin Lakes, Fourth Recess Lake, Chickenfoot Lake, Mills Creek Lakes
Vee Lake to name a very few.
Which ones have stayed etched in your mind, and why?
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Which Lakes in the Mono Divide?

Post by paul »

Does Merriam Lake qualify as being in the Mono Divide? Right at treeline, pretty lake, off the trail a little to keep the people numbers low, lovely little cirque, alpenglow on Mt. Humphreys.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Yes it does.
I would like to revisit the area after 15+ yrs, and I would love to hear about some
of the off the beaten path lakes, ponds, meadows, or ridgelines that are extremely
photogenic in this area.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

It's hard to top Vee Lake. And the fact that my tent once blew into it etches it into my mind that much more.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

For alpenglow, Upper Recess Peak Lake is pretty choice. Directly below the west face of Recess Peak, and there's nothing higher to the west, so it catches the last light.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Yes Vee Lake I remember well, but none of the other lakes are very memorable in the area
at least in my memory, except for one of the upper Bear Lakes.
Some of the Recess Lakes are pretty, Upper Mills is pretty, Snow was okay.
Coming over Royce Pass towards the east I remember a meadow with a lot of flowers which
was very impressive.
What about Gable Lakes under the Four Gables to the east?
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

I forgot to mention Grinnell Lake -- one of my favorite in the Sierra. Sunset on Red & White Mountain above the lake is pretty wonderful.

As for Vee --- I love the entire Bear Lakes basin. Also, the lakes below Seven Gables are very nice.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

My very favorite in this area, in terms of scenery, is the unnamed lake above the "Hourglass" on Mt. Dade. It has talus-streaked ice calving into it with jagged pinnacles above. Few spots are more savagely alpine in the Sierras than this one.

Second favorite, if it qualifies (it's not really Mono Divide, but since maverick put in Chickenfoot, I'll put in a vote for...) is Spire Lake below Bear Creek Spire on the E. side. Deep and rugged with the finest face of Bear Creek Spire above it. Finally comes a choice that many folks don't like. This is Lake Italy. Why do I like Lake Italy? It is not so much the view from it, which is nice, but fairly ordinary. It is the view of Lake Italy from above from summits such as Gabb and Hilgard. Because of the lake's size and shape, it serves as a very nice backdrop to the peaks beyond.

Speaking of Grinnell, I've never been there, but from above (from the summit of Red and White) it is quite stunning, much in the same way L. Italy is because it is so big and its surroundings are richly colored (Red and White is aptly named for its deeply colored metamorphic rocks). The drop off down to Grinnell from Red and White is steep enough so that the view of Grinnell from above gives the impression of flying over the lake.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Is that lake west and above Dade Lake GB?
giantbrookie

Post by giantbrookie »

maverick wrote:Is that lake west and above Dade Lake GB?
It is indeed above and WSW of Dade Lake and it is more or less at the base of the S slope of Mt. Dade, SSE of the summit.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;