NeoAir Thermarest...new product

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: NeoAir Thermarest...new product

Post by AlmostThere »

got a medium....

As a reformed tosser and turner, I was dismayed at the narrow aspect. In a hammock I don't roll around a lot as the comfort and lack of pressure points allow me to sleep on my back all night. On the ground or in bed, I sleep on my side and typically switch positions frequently.

Three nights in a hammock and two nights on the ground later, I am impressed! The crinkly doesn't turn out to be a factor when you're laying on it. The pad is thick enough that sleeping on the ground it cushions my hip and other pressure points well enough (as long as you don't blow it up tight as a balloon). Half inflated it did well in the hammock. I used a 1/4" evazote pad under it to protect it and to provide some insulation if an elbow drifted off in the hammock. Slept warm and comfy each use.

No leaks so far... easy to blow up and harder to deflate, but it's livable. I think it will be a pretty good option for those trips that take me alpine and I may even be able to use the tent a few times again.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Just ordered a large from REI (minus last years dividend :) ) I'll be giving it a spin in Trinity this Sept. Trying to offset some of the weight of my pack.
Rosabella
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by Rosabella »

Oops! I forgot to post my "review" of my "NeoAir"..... I LOVE it!!!

It weighs practically nothing, and it was SO comfortable. I got the small (3/4 length), which was fine for me. I'm 5'6" and weight 140, so I'm not a tiny person. The "crinkly" noises that it makes didn't bother me, nor did the narrowness. I slept better on this than I ever had on any of my other thermarests.

I worried about the apparent-delicateness of the fabric, and was concerned that I would end up with a leak, but it served me well on my JMT hike. I was careful not to over-inflate it. I mostly sleep on my side, and I inflated it just enough to keep my hipbone from touching the ground.

I’m totally happy with it!

Rosie
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

OK..

Just got back from a Trinity Alps trip for 10 days with my large/long/weighs nothing comparatively to what i had, NeoAir. Amazing. We went to Horseshoe and Ward Lakes in the Trinity Alps. We had 2 days of snow (9/28-9/29) which left an inch of snow on the ground for both days, 50mph wind at Ward, and temps in the high teens. Crinkley: nothing. actually the Thermarest never slipped and there was no crinklely sound when sleeping on it. The key was to blow it up as much as you could; let it rest;, and then adjust when you got on it so your hips would sink in.. I never hit the ground even with the cold temps. If you overinflate it, you will feel uncomfortable. It was nice to adjust it about a half hour in to get the right contour.

We had another couple across from us who's Neo got caught in an updraft (30mph or so) and they can fly. Still, it held up with all the granite it hit on it's flight.

I love the light weight, the adjustment to comfort and no crinkly sound that bothered me in the field. 25 puffs to fill. and not too hard to deflate. fold and press has you go.

Russ
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

I too had very high winds out of Cottonwood Lakes area, two nights in a row. My BD Hilight tent suffered some pulling loose of the seam at one corner where it is reenforced

Very happy with my small NeoAir pad. I had two nights of very cold temps for this time of year at nine degrees the second night out and then four degrees at Crabtree Meadow area the next night. That was the night I slept the warmest out of my whole trip. I have read some doubt about the NeoAir not being able to keep you warm in cold temps, but mine did find. However, I must say that the ground was not frozen yet, that may affect its performance. I felt no cold from the ground either. I was worried that I should have bought a blue pad to bring along also, as the forecast had changed since I had originally packed for the trip, otherwise, I could have brought an extra pad from home as I work out of town and leave for trips after work.
Piece of cake.
hikerduane
Founding Member

Tested in the snow

Post by hikerduane »

I slept very good last night, camped along side the PCT, just south of the Bucks Lake Wilderness, 10 minute drive from home. I used my 1/2" thick, blue, closed cell pad under my short NeoAir, felt a little bit of coolness maybe under my butt. Nothing to get me worried. Snow was less than 2' deep. I should have brought my snowshoes which I left behind the seat in my pickup as I postholed up to my knees a few times and had to pause a second to get my balance and pull my foot out. A struggle the first half mile, but I only went in a about an hour hike, 50 minute hike out this morning. Temps were just above freezing and I used my WM 15 degree Apache bag. Further testing over New Year's maybe, in Yosemite on a group trip.
Piece of cake.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Hi Duane. One question; did you find yourself needing to add air to your NeoAir as the evening temps dropped, or did it hold pretty steady? I'm curious if that's something to expect in winter conditions as well.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

Merry Christmas young man! The only air the pad got was from the initial airing up when I set camp up. Of course it shrank some due to the air cooling off, but I did not notice it shrinking anymore after the air stabilized or it was not noticeable. I have in the past let air our until I was about to touch the ground with a shoulder or hip, I did not this time. Just trying something out, surprisingly, my shoulders and hips felt fine for once, nothing under my feet to compensate for the 3/4 length NeoAir. More testing New Year's at Dewey Point for a couple nights, weather permitting.
Piece of cake.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks HD for the updates!
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

I was able to get three more nights in on my pad, using the 1/2" thick, full length, blue, closed cell pad under it.. Two more of the NorCal Hikers had them also, Paige got a leak in hers Thursday night, because she had to air hers up three times Friday night. She believes she snagged something in the back of her bf's truck. After airing mine up Friday afternoon, by Saturday morning it looked pretty pathetic. I left it as it was for testing. This morning, I rolled it up about two rows and that firmed the pad up, so my hot air lost less than 10% of its volume. I slept very warm two out of the three nights, New Year's Eve, I was on frozen ground and slept great after going to bed before 1. Friday night, I slept a little cooler but was fine, temps were only in the mid 20's, but I think I was not hydrated very well. Saturday night, I was loaded for bear and was very warm, plus the temp this morning at 6:45, was only 29. I was using my 5 degree bag. Although I slept warm, this morning packing up, I noticed the snow under where I had laid was melted and had a light depression, so my light set up did not work super great, but was fine with me. How ofter do you spent two nights out at the same spot winter camping?

I know over on TT, that there are a few doubters regarding the NeoAir about taking cold temps and I am sure they never would have dreamed of using it in the conditions I have used mine the last five months.

We had 15 of our small group bp out to Dewey Point and spend at least one night there, 9 of us stayed two nights, of those, seven of us headed towards Taft Point Saturday morning about 10:30 and five of that group went to an area close by there. Quite a snowshoe workout from Dewey Point, breaking trail. Funny, the two younger guys just about brought up the rear and us two older guys got back to camp first.:)
Piece of cake.