BBQ stoves legal at Saddlebag?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

BBQ stoves legal at Saddlebag?

Post by markskor »

Quick question about charcoal grills.
A few of us are getting together for an end of the season romp...dates still uncertain, but...
We intend to do a car camp thing, perhaps at the far end of Saddlebag...take the ferry over and perhaps an ice chest full of beer... stay a few nights...fish, and tell lies to each other. The question is: knowing that at Saddlebag, open fires are prohibited - too high, but,
Can we (is it permitted?) to take a small BBQ and charcoal into the wilderness...cook our fish over the coals in foil...clean it all up and take it all back...(LNT of course)?
Mountainman who swims with trout
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: BBQ stoves legal at Saddlebag?

Post by The Other Tom »

Don't know for sure, and if you ask a ranger, you might get varying replies. My thoughts are that the small wood fueled stoves are legal (you have to pack in your twigs), so the small BBQ grills should be legal too.
The reason for no fires at elevation is so people won't chop down the scrawny trees that are there. Seems to me if you bring your own fuel, you should be ok. Assuming of course there's not a fire alert in the region, etc. Just my 2 cents.
Ozark Flip
Topix Regular

Post by Ozark Flip »

Sounds like fun!

I would imagine the answer from a ranger would be no.....just because.

I have a BBQ grill, operates off the Coleman fuel canisters, very effective, good sized but very portable, would be perfect for your trip and the fish. Stop by the house and get it on your way.

Flip
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Unfortunately, our backcountry has always been full of visitors quick to ignore policies they don't like if they think they can get away with something. Would be very surprised if what you ask is allowed in any backcountry areas. The reason is some would quickly be using it as an excuse for making fires. Likely would pack in a few charcoal briquettes with an abusers intent to actually mostly use small pieces of wood in the area. Of course timberline country of 20 Lakes Basin due to decades of fire makers and mining before current policy began is quite tree poor. Most trees one sees are young or stunted.