tenayah lake

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
don norton
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: tenayah lake

Post by don norton »

markskor wrote:Don, There used to be an established campground at Tenaya...BBQ pits, roads, etc, and all. It was closed a few years ago and disbanded. Now it is just Wilderness I guess...Camp where you want. I am a bit surprised that they still let you camp there now...The old 4 mile rule and all.
Live and learn.
Mark all I know is there a sign that says camping permitted 100' from lake
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: tenayah lake

Post by SSSdave »

[quote="markskor"]“How far from G A can one camp? I will be coming up from May Lake?”
I thought YNP established the “No Camping within 4 miles of road” rule, governing all camping activity along the 120 corridor.
...quote]

Yikes, after reading your comment I had to check if they recently changed it per your comment. Found this on the nps.gov site:

"You must camp at least four trail miles from Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite Valley, Glacier Point, Hetch Hetchy, and Wawona, and at least one air mile from any road. Camping is prohibited in the Dana Fork of the Tuolumne River."

Thus nothing new for last few years. There are 15 minute series topo maps at all the YNP wilderness permit offices that show in detail all their named camping zones including boundaries of where one may and may not camp. Such maps are not availabe online or purchase so a few years ago with my compact digital of that day took pics in their office of all the parts of the park of potential interest to me so I know where I might camp. There are lots of places to hike that easy aerial mile in the park with no trails that are fine indeed.