Piute Pass to Four Gables 8/7-8/9 TR

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
trav867
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Piute Pass to Four Gables 8/7-8/9 TR

Post by trav867 »

After postponing then canceling the trip because of weather and work, we ended up being able to get out from Friday to Sunday. I had never hiked out of North Lake, and we had a great lazy and relaxing trip.
We went North Lake - Piute Pass - Desolation Lake - Forsaken Lake - Four Gables - Tomahawk Lake - back

Desolation Lake really lives up to its name and I'm completely infatuated with Mt. Humphreys- it's so imposing and beautiful. Thanks copeg for the Four Gables suggestion- a very fun and easy peak with some great views. Here are a few photos from the trip, the rest are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/travistetz ... 001423084/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Above Desolation Lake

Wildflowers at Desolation Lake

Mt. Humphreys from near Forsaken Lake

More Mt. Humphreys

Four Gables from the West (Just a pile of rocks from West, but a sheer drop to the east)

Early Morning Below Piute Pass
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Piute Pass to Four Gables 8/7-8/9 TR

Post by maverick »

Thanks for the TR and the photo's, I like the shot from above Desolation Lake looking
back at the peaks.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

Beautiful photos. Looks like a great trip! Glad you like the Four Gables hike.
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by paul »

thanks for the nice photos. I've only been to Humphreys Basin and Four Gables on skis, and I've wondered whether Four Gables would be a nice summer walk or a nasty talus hop. glad to see it is the former.