Photographer's fans examine Ansel Adams' legacy

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

Yasmin Assemi
Record Staff Writer
Published Monday, Nov 7, 2005

http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ ... 70320/1001

STOCKTON -- The Haggin Museum's Ansel Adams exhibit opened Sunday afternoon to dozens of the photographer's admirers.

The Haggin exhibit, "Ansel Adams: A Legacy," features more than 50 photographs from the Museum Set Edition of Fine Prints and family snapshots. Adams, who died in 1984 at age 82, is best known for his black-and-white photos capturing the natural beauty of America's national parks.

"What's impressed me is his never-ending patience to wait for the exact right moment," said Patricia King of Stockton. She attended the exhibit's opening with two friends because of what she called her "endless adoration" of Adams' talent.

Adams was an ardent environmentalist and Sierra Club member who allowed recent history and contemporary culture to recognize California, according to Fred Schumacher, who gazed at the artist's famous images with his wife, Julie.

The Schumachers drove from Manteca to see the exhibit and own many prints and books of Adams' photography. The avid hikers have traveled through much of the Southwest and have seen the images inspiring the photographer's work, they said.

"I could never get tired of looking at his work," Fred Schumacher said, adding that Adams offers people who haven't visited national parks an insight into natural beauty. His favorite Adams photograph depicts Yosemite Valley in winter, he said.

King, however, doesn't have a favorite image.

"That would be like saying I love one of my kids more than the other one," she said, gazing at Adams' 1945 image of Mount Williamson in the Sierra Nevada that was shot in the city of Manzanar.

The exhibition also includes portraits of fellow American photographer Alfred Stieglitz, a mentor and friend of Adams, and the famous Mexican muralist Jose Clemente Orozco.

The Haggin exhibit at 1201 N. Pershing Ave. runs through Jan. 15. Admission is $5 for adults and $2.50 for youths, seniors and students. For information, call the museum at 209 940-6300.

Contact reporter Yasmin Assemi at 209 546-8272 or yassemi@recordnet.com