New SPOT Satellite Messenger announced

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

New SPOT Satellite Messenger announced

Post by Shawn »

Just discovered this ....
http://gpstracklog.com/2009/07/new-spot ... unced.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

An improved chipset and antenna for better reception under canopy
A GPS acquisition light
A “message sending” indicator light
Illuminated buttons
Protective covers over SOS and Help buttons to prevent accidental transmission
norcalhiker
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: New SPOT Satellite Messenger announced

Post by norcalhiker »

I'm definitely buying one. I've met enough hikers out using them, and being satisfied. Now that it's upgraded, i'm on the bandwagon.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: New SPOT Satellite Messenger announced

Post by BSquared »

An upgrade of the user manual would also be welcome. On our just-completed "JMT" trip (TR to come, with explanation of the quotation marks ;) ), we had a helluva time with ours (friends reporting that they were getting maybe one out of three "OK" messages we thought we were sending) until we realized that (a.) the thing has to be on its back in order to "see" the entire sky, and (b.) the "message sent" indication means just that: message sent, but no guarantee there were any satellites in a position to receive it. Once we figured out that the unit had to be horizontal and that we *absolutely* had to let it go through the entire 20-minute cycle each time we wanted to send a message, it worked flawlessly and made everybody at home much happier. I'll definitely be tempted to get one of my own, especially with this newly upgraded model. It seems to me that the logical next step would be outgoing text-messaging capability, and I'll bet that won't be long in coming...
—B²