Piute- Humphrey's Basin from North Lake

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
trav867
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Piute- Humphrey's Basin from North Lake

Post by trav867 »

I'm planning to head up to Humphreys Basin from North Lake for 4 days or so beginning this Thursday. I've never been to the area before, looking for any insights. I'm planning to just wander- what do you think the bugs will be like, are there any can't miss lakes, fun peaks? Thanks in advance!

Oh also, do I get a permit from the Whitney Station, or Bishop?
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Piute- Humphrey's Basin from North Lake

Post by copeg »

No idea about the bug situation, but I'd say a visit to Desolation Lake is a must (great sunset alpenglow off Mt. Humphrey's). There is somewhat a lack of cover at this lake though, normally not an issue but when I camped at the lake a cold front moved through and I do remember getting hammered all night by wind. An easy nearby peak is Four Gables - nice views and the steep faces on the north, east, and west are fun to view from the top. There is also a x-country route that goes over to Puppet/L/Moon Lake plateau. If you're up for it Royce Lakes is also a good destination. You should be able to get your permit in Bishop.
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

Bugs were moderate a couple weeks ago west of there in the Sallie Keys area.
Piece of cake.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

hikerduane wrote:Bugs were moderate a couple weeks ago west of there in the Sallie Keys area.
They've gotten better since you and I were there, Duane. Not one bite this past weekend.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
treadwell
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by treadwell »

Pick-up your permit in Bishop for the Humphrey's Basin. Beautiful area with many options to the north and south of Piute Pass. Nice views of the whole area from the summit of Pilot Knob, might be a stretch on a four day though. Have Fun.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

I just got back last night from a weeklong trip where I spent the first night at Muriel and the last night at one of the tarns between Tomahawk and Lower Desolation. At both places the skeeters were pretty bad when the wind wasn't blowing. As for places to go, I've found it's a great place to just wander around somewhat aimlessly - the landscape is perfect for it. In terms of named lakes, my personal favorite is Mesa.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com