Desolation, permit process, walkup

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
frediver
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Desolation, permit process, walkup

Post by frediver »

Not surprised but I can't get anyone on the phone.
How does one get a walkup permit at Pollack Pines sta.?
They open at 7AM Sat., not a real problem I can be there by 5AM
but should I expect a mad rush for the door?
From what I can gleen from the web site Bear Cans are not required, right/wrong ?
I have a can but my bud for this trip does not. Everything can likely fit in 1 can anyway
but some rangers can be stinkers.
I have also searched the web site for a trail map but all I can find is the trailhead
and zone quota map, am I overlooking something ? I can D/L my own topo but
I was hoping they offered an online version on the main site.

Thanks
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Desolation, permit process, walkup

Post by hikerduane »

No canister required, but they would like you to use one. In the Tahoe area, they were offering free use of a Garcia, provided by the Bear League or whatever they go by. You should be able to buy a map when you pick up a permit. Sorry, can't help with down loading something. Enjoy your trip.
Piece of cake.
JMat
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by JMat »

The Pollock Pines Ranger Station used to open till 8pm on Fridays, too. Not sure if budget cuts have killed that though.
frediver
Topix Regular

Post by frediver »

Bump:
How many people actually use a bear can in Desolation Wilderness? My can is 2.5 extra pounds I sure would like to leave home but if bears are really an issue then I'll pack it.
We will be leaving Sat. O dark 30. Any news on the weather, 30,40, or 50 d. at night?
Thanks
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

Here is the 8:30 Fri. morning report: Lows at So Lake Tahoe overnite in the mid to low 40s. I'd guess mid 30s in Deso. But it is forecast to start getting warmer...The sky is pretty cloudy now, and should be all day, but it probably wont rain. It looks like Sat. & Sun. and next week should be nice and sunny...
I've been in to to most parts of Deso 20-30 times in the last 15 years and never used a bear can. I just hang my food far enough away from camp per the USFS recomendations. I've never even seen a bear up there, even though they are spotted around town quite often.
Please take my experience for what it is worth, and do what you feel comfortable with. I don't want to be the bad guy if a bear snags your grub!
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

Bear cans not required in desolation; but you should hang if not using a can, and you are much more likely to lose food to squirrels or mice than a bear up there - I take my can because I am sick of the hanging thing and like knowing that no critter is getting any of my food.
As to walk-up permits, unlikely you'll have a problem getting what you want if you are there when the office opens, but just in case you should be familiar with the zones so you know your options. And some of the quotas are so small that if you have more than one or two people the percentage of walkup permits can be smaller than your group.
Maps - no they don't have anything other than the zone map online, but they do have topographical wilderness area maps at the office.