Desolation Alternate?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
frediver
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Desolation Alternate?

Post by frediver »

We are going to give Desolation Wilderness a try but wonder what alternate areas might be available If we are not able to secure a walkup permit.
Thanks
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Re: Desolation Alternate?

Post by balzaccom »

Emigrant WIlderness, off Highway 108, does not have a quota system...but it would take you some time to drive there from Desolation!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

The Big Meadow TH just south of Myers in So Lake Tahoe leads to Round, Dardanelle (sp?) and Showers lakes. No permit needed, but might be crowded.
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Some good non-quota'd alternatives that do not take overly long to reach from whatever ranger station you are trying to get the permit from:
(1) Warren Lake et al. heading north from the Donner Summit area.
(2) Several alternatives in the Grouse Ridge area (doubling back on 80 westward).
(3) You can go into a place such as Richardson L (easy 4WD or hard 2WD depending on year) off of the eastern part of the Miller Creek jeep trail and easily dayhike into Desolation (can drop into Rubicon or cut over to Meeks Creek) from that area (since the dayhike permits are non-quota'd)
(4) You can also do the same by backpacking into Buck Island L. just outside of DW and then dayhiking into the wilderness to places such as Rockbound L and Rubicon Res.
(5) You can hike up the trail out of Wrights Lake and camp just outside the wilderness and do the same thing (dayhiking into the wilderness) to Upper and Lower Twin, etc.

In addition to the above (and actually as a first choice before the above), have a list of several Desolation alternatives to audible to if your first choice is quota'd out. I'd be shocked if you were aced out of all of your alternatives within Desolation. I recall that Desolation's quotas are a bit different than most of the Sierran wilderness ones in that they are destination, rather than entry, based (or is it a combination?). In any case, this gives a bit more targeting flexibility than one has with most Sierran wilderness areas wherein a little-used destination is often denied because the way to it is from a popular entry point.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frediver
Topix Regular

Post by frediver »

Sorry for my lack of complete information and thanks for the ideas.
We will be trying to get our permit from the Pollack Pines ranger station.
giantbrookie

Post by giantbrookie »

OK,
That makes the western options (Loon-Buck Island; Wrights etc.) among your better bets outside of the long list of internal Desolation option, given that the drive over to the I80 options would be too long. The drive to the Miller Creek with the Richardson and Lost Lake options isn't too bad, but west flank would certainly be closer. Also among the western flank options are hiking out of Van Vleck to Shadow L. I suppose it were me and I failed to get any Desolation permit (still think this is unlikely to occur), I'd opt for Buck Island and vicinity, but that reflects my strong fishing bias. The "just outside of the boundary" options out of Wrights allow closer dayhiking access to the higher parts of Desolation, including Pyramid Peak.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
EastSideClimb
Topix Acquainted

Post by EastSideClimb »

Try Meiss Trailhead of 88 near Carson pass...get a campfire permit from a Ranger Station in area (free). Just got back from Shower Lake Fri/Sat/Sun it was great to go w/dog. A great lake but if there on Sat expect to see lots of day hikers visiting/swimming in lake. If you camp there on weekend take a day hike on Sat and by 3 or 4pm lake will be almost empty of day hikers as it is a long hike out. Or try easier hike off Big Meadows like Dardenelles Lake...bring repellent.