trans-sierra routes?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Fyrmin
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by Fyrmin »

I appreciate all the input. I have a sierra north hiking program that shows trails and pictures of what you see while hiking them. There are pictures of Mono Pass taken in mid June and the ground is snow free. The obvious variable is Mother Nature. I'm hoping for an Early spring with unseasonable warmth....and enjoying the planning and anticipation of another backpacking trip...something that I enjoy almost as much as the trip itself. I'm also an optomist...But not stupid enough to not recognize when it's not a good decision to procede. I've got good winter gear and I'll have it with me. I've also looked at former year snow data and I think it's still going to be possible....So enough with the negativity...you all need to appease Mother Nature with me! Think SUN!
Bearlover
Founding Member

I say Do It!

Post by Bearlover »

I can tell you that heavy snow in and around Twin Lakes to Kerrick Meadow is doable.. Carry your winter gear .. Please. I have met a pair of brothers in May the did the Tahoe Yosmeite trail.. they told me the hardest part was the descent from Smedberg to Benson and the routefinding from Benson to Seavey pass was the worst. For a trans-Sierra route I suggest Twin lakes to Hetch Hetchy Via Peeler lake, Kerick,Stubblefield,Tilden and thus Jack Main Canyon. But what the hell do I know? Sounds like a survival trek to me.. been there, but not in winter! My buddies told me they got lost along the decent into Benson lake and had a tough time climbing out of it along seavey pass route. Looks simple but I have only done it in summer! They said route finding was very difficult and what they thought would take 2 days actually took 5 days to walk(snowshoe). Very experienced chaps I must say.. both were wearing two-way radios and sporting the best gear. I say go for it but beware and be ready to change plans.
I must add that in that same year (2004) I was caught in a flash flood in Jack main canyon and came very close to losing my life. Beware of the rain if you plan to go when there is considerable snowpack on the ground... A heavey warm rain on a thick Sierra snowpack can be lethal in the canyons... trust me. It is as if the water is actively trying to kill you.. water came from the rocks, the trees, the canyon wall.. out of every crevice.. ice cold water at pressure... yea I still remember,I was singing "In the arms of the angel" all the way out! Please be careful!
In retrosect I would have brought a sleeping bag with synthetic fill(instead of down), all my clothes were synthetics and I credit them with saving my life.. if you really come up against it.. ie. 4 hours in 32 degree floodwaters.. I suggest you keep the biggest muscles in your body working.. your thighs. I kept moving my legs.. the activity kept my core just warm enough to save my life, although my fingers and toes were completely blue.. I made it! I cannot stress enough how incredibly dangerous a Trans-sierra hike(slog) in winter can be. Truly... think and rethink your plan.. and if all else fails believe in your own ability to survive.. 'cause it may be all you have left.
Hey, don't take my word for it.. take my uncle Wayne's.. a 56 year veteran of the Sierra.."You can die out here.. fast! Winter or summer this place don't give a crap." Not the most polite with words; my uncle, but to the point... I say "don't let your ego get in the way of better judgement.. go ahead and play chicken and you'll live to be an eagle another day." Ain't no extra credits for bravery given out here.
Good luck my friend and God speed.
Having said all that I must add that, as always I will be in that area in May as well.. perhaps we will chance to meet! Though I rarely meet anyone out there-abouts I hope to see ya! New Grace Meadow is Breath-taking in late May and I fully intend to Take-Breath there. If you by chance were to choose Leavitt Meadows and Jack Main via Bond Pass perhaps say around the end of May we just might bump into each other. Happy trails Bro.
There is a Bear.. Where? Over there!
Sierra Ledge Rat
Topix Novice

Bloody Canyon-Yosemite Route

Post by Sierra Ledge Rat »

Hi

We skied that route over Christmas 1983/New Year 1984 over a nine day period. Got pinned on the east side of Mono Pass for 3 days in a heavy storm. Spent New Years' Eve alone in the middle of Tuolomne Meadows...

Lemme see if I can dust off my memory...

Bloody Canyon is very pretty, not your typical granite canyon. There are some avalanche danger zones at the top of the pass.

From there, we crossed Tuolomne Meadows and went up past Cathedral Peak. There were some frightening avalanche debris zones in that area, slides that came off granite crests and traveled for a long, long ways.

After passing Cathedral Peak, the route is foggy in my memory. Is there a place called "Sunshine" up there? I do remember that we descended into Little Yosemite and then followed the trail down into The Valley.

We chose this route after carefully considering the avalanche danger at that time. We felt that Bloody Canyon posed less of a risk than other routes (such as skiing up the road from Lee Vining). And other than the huge slides above Cathedral Peak, we saw very few avalanches along that route.

Route finding? We had no trouble, and this was long before the day of GPS.

Visiting Tuolomne before the summer crowds was great. It was nice to have the whole place to ourselves. Not another soul in sight.

Have a great trip.
Fyrmin
Topix Novice

Post by Fyrmin »

Just a follow up...We decided to go to Sykes hot springs in Big Sur instead...because of the snow pack. There were topless girls and 100 degree water in the springs....it was tough, but we survived on our filet mignons. What a trip.