Central Valley pesticides hurt Sierra frogs

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Central Valley pesticides hurt Sierra frogs

Post by ERIC »

-
REMINDER: RULES FOR POSTING ON HST
Blowing in the wind: Central Valley pesticides hurt Sierra frogs

LA Times
3:55 PM, July 21, 2009

A new study adds to the evidence that Central Valley pesticide use is jeopardizing Sierra Nevada frog populations.

In laboratory experiments, Pacific treefrog and foothill yellow-legged frog tadpoles were exposed to two commonly used agricultural insecticides, chlorpyrifos and endosulfan.

Both proved toxic. Endosulfan, used on fruits and vegetables, was especially damaging to the tadpoles, which developed abnormalities and growth problems, according to a study published in the August edition of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry.

The yellow-legged frog, whose populations are in worse shape than the tree frog, was the more sensitive of the two.

"Exposure to chlorpyrifos and endosulfan poses serious risk to amphibians in the Sierra Nevada Mountains," concluded the study authors, Donald W. Sparling of Southern Illinois University's Cooperative Wildlife Research Laboratory and Gary M. Fellers of the U.S. Geological Survey's Western Ecology Research Center in Point Reyes, Calif.

Wind blows pesticide residues from the San Joaquin Valley into the mountains, where the chemicals break down more slowly because of cooler temperatures.

Pesticides have been detected in the Sierra's air, snow and water, as well as the tissues of the range's amphibians.

-- Bettina Boxall

Photo: A yellow-legged frog. Credit: Associated Press / Vance Vredenburg, Center for Biological Diversity
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: Central Valley pesticides hurt Sierra frogs

Post by rlown »

Thanks for posting this, Eric. I guess this was always a theory, but i've seen no "official" scientific write-ups on proof that pesticide upslope blow-in is real (i only say this because the article was about lab tests.)

I'd love to see some real scientific field data if someone has a pointer. I'm guessing that studies of high sierra lakes includes water samples, etc that would identify toxic levels of pesticides in the frogs, water or run-off.
AldeFarte
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by AldeFarte »

Uh huh, sure. Please use your head when reading this item. It is an interesting tidbit Eric, but only obamer voters will swallow that sticleback. EVERYONE knows that if the "experts "could conclusively pin that one on big farming ,it would have been done by now. However , if something is repeated often enough and long enough, it will become fact. I can prove that a high enough concentration of carrot juice will cause statistical abnormalities in pollywogs. Or celery juice. Pick your poison. Sounds good in California ,though. jls :soapbox:
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

Alde Farte is correct. There are many factors involved, all acting synergistically. Trying to isolate one as 'the cause' is bad science and leads to bad public policy. Unfortunately, this is the primary practice of the environmental industry and their political agenda.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

i keep reading from those with Grant money to study frogs that they (amphibians) are a "bellwether" for our species. If they're (frogs) are dying off, why aren't we? Sure, eventually, everything dies out, but I'm sure i've been exposed to more harmful stuff than any Sierra frog; in a lab, or otherwise personally induced.. I'll vote for V-8 juice.. a little bit of carrot and celery in every serving.. :)

I guess the key is Grant money. :D I still can't find any documentation on Grants for this kind of research from public funds.. I'd like to though..

Russ
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

For what it's worth, I say frogs, not sure which ones, at two of the lakes I visited a couple years ago while doing the Rae Lakes Loop. One was just up from the Onion Valley TH where they had gill netted the lake.
Piece of cake.
AldeFarte
Topix Regular

Post by AldeFarte »

I think mylf is much more resilient than the strange people give them credit for. The ground in my neighborhood is frozen for 5 or 6 months out of every year. Every year I find small froggies in and around the garden.I live on a hillside . The only standing water is what I provide.The only fish are the 25cent goldfish I put out in the summer. Granted, they are not mylf, but they are still frogs! It is my contention that these frogs can and will find a way to make it. :nod:
norcalhiker
Founding Member

Post by norcalhiker »

I'm struck by how aware hikers are about the frog decline in the sierra. Many times now people have struck up conversations about this problem with me. Too bad we're likely not going to solve it.