Kearsarge to East Lake - 7/8-12 Trip Report and Photos

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
taegello
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Re: Kearsarge to East Lake - 7/8-12 Trip Report and Photos

Post by taegello »

Awesome trip report. We are thinking about this trip in August. Do you need to carry bear Canister for this trip? or can you just go by using bear boxes. Also where are the bear boxes along this trail?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Taegello

Short answer is yes there are bear boxes.
http://climber.org/data/BearBoxes/AllBoxes.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Lists all bear box locations in the
Sierra with gps waypoints, elevations, and the type of lockers.
seisner
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by seisner »

rrivera - photos taken with a Nikon D200 with either Nikon 18-200 or Sigma 10-20 lens.

taegello - the bear boxes we used were at the campsites just across Bubbs Creek and the campsite at the edge of East Lake on the far south side of the Lake - both very obvious, can't miss 'em. That said, I would highly recommend bringing bear cannisters with you in case those sites are occupied or you find yourself camping in a different spot. Maybe my personal anal retentiveness regarding food protection, but having once had a trip cut short after losing a large chunk of food to a bear, I definitely take the overly cautious approach.