High Sierra Trail, Kaweah Gap Conditions / Experience

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
aufsess
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: High Sierra Trail, Kaweah Gap Conditions / Experience

Post by aufsess »

Here are some photos of the Kaweah Gap, Nine Lake Basin, Big Arroyo from early last week. I've also included photos of some of the snow conditions on Whitney that we encountered on the 4th. The cables also had a marginal melted area where one could just barely walk on stones.

http://picasaweb.google.com/alexander.r ... 8211217602
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Alex,
Looks to me like you guys threaded the needle pretty well; a bit of weather, not too many bugs, and nothing like the 10 days with precipitation that we got earlier in June. Thanks for the pics!
Cg
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Nice pictures (and the photo location marker is a great feature)! I'm thinking of heading into Kaweah Basin, by way of Nine Lakes Basin, at the end of the month, so these are really helpful.
Saltydog
Topix Acquainted

Post by Saltydog »

Any beta from HST yet this year? I have a 7/11 entry date for a through hike W to E . Eastside I can handle: lots of beta there. Starting to wonder about Bear Paw to Kaweah Gap, however. Anybody been up there?
MADgenius
Topix Novice

Post by MADgenius »

You've likely already checked this but in case not see link below for a recent trail condition update.

http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/t ... UMP_115626" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Saltydog
Topix Acquainted

Post by Saltydog »

Yes, thanks, got it. Is that where beta is likely to show up first?
MADgenius
Topix Novice

Post by MADgenius »

NPS updates about once a week. If you ring the SEKI Wilderness Office you can sometimes get more recent beta - HST is super popular, as you well know, so the park gets lotsa first-hand info on that route from hikers and rangers. Be sure to speak with someone in the know.

This forum is a great bet for recent info - highly active, knowledgeable, and generous peeps. I'm a newbie at posting here but I've often monitored and searched this forum for info myself.

In fact, I came across your message while researching a trip to Kaweah Basin via the High Sierra Trail (not until early August, tho').

So keep checking here (esp'ly thread on 2011 Backcountry Conditions Updates).
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6282" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

See this thread for a similar question to yours.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6353" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In my experience, Backpacker's Southwest forum and the Whitney Portal forum are also good for checking on current conditions and trip reports.
http://www.backpacker.com/cgi-bin/forum ... =603107219" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/forum ... d=1&page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Summit Post and Climber.org are worth pursuing, particularly if your destination includes popular mountaineering or rock climbing objectives.

If you don't find what you need, I'd encourage you to start your own topic to request and receive the most relevant advice. Once you return, please also consider posting a message to the 2011 Updates thread, and/or a trip report for others to benefit from your experience too.

Good luck!
Saltydog
Topix Acquainted

Post by Saltydog »

Thanks MG: Haven't contacted the wilderness office yet (saving that for the home stretch) , but the report on Kaweah Gap/HST is as up to date as they come. Indicates rapid melting. I am in touch with one party that will be half a day or less ahead of me out of Bearpaw (7/11) but nobody who has gone in yet or will be going in before that date.

Also:

HST food strategy question:

For a variety of reasons, I find we are pushing the space limitations of our bear canisters. I also notice that canisters are officially "strongly recommended" but not actually required for any of the HST proper, but only on the Whitney trail. Finally, All of the established campsites from Mehrten to Junction Meadow would seem to have bear boxes. If all this is accurate, is there anything wrong with bagging the first couple of days' food and relying on the bear boxes for a couple of days, knowing that everything else will be snug in the bear canisters for the rest of the trip?

I know this is not ideal, but just how far off the mark is it?
Saltydog
Topix Acquainted

Post by Saltydog »

Contacted SEKI Wilderness Office yesterday, 7/5, and they had no updates for their 6/27 Trail Conditions report :

Any beta from a party coming off HST or Kaweah Gap since 6/27 would be Greatly Appreciated by several parties starting in the next several days.

Thanks
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I often supplement by planning to use bear boxes the first few days when I have a long trip where all the food does not fit in the bear can. Just put the excess in the bear box, not the entire bear can, so that space is remaining for others. Also, do not leave anything in the bear box when you leave. We have a Ursack in addition to a bear can, so when we hike in areas that have differing regulations, we will take the Ursack and the Bearikade (two of us) and by the time we hit the bear can required area, there is enough room in the bear can alone for the remaining food. I have also hung a small bag of smelly non-food items in a tree when I did not have room in the bear can. These items may attract a bear, but if the bear get them, he will not get much nurishment , hopefull not habituating him, rather leaving him disappointed. It is not ideal, but no way am I going to carry two bear cans! If I am careful with the bulkiness of my food, I can sueeze 9 days food in my Bearikade. Eleven days is about my limit that I want to carry in food weight and for those 11-day trips, when I am solo, I utilize bear boxes. I realize having both the Bearikade and Ursack is an expensive solution to our food storage, but it works well for us.