NeoAir Thermarest...new product

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: NeoAir Thermarest...new product

Post by hikerduane »

Love it.:) Also, it is a short, so my feet at least part of the time would be touching earth.

I was more upset I think, that I would not be able to use such a light pad and lose any weight in a gear upgrade.
Piece of cake.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Anyone take there NeoAir pad out for a test drive yet?
snusmumriken
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by snusmumriken »

I've had my Neoair out for a couple of trips now. Here are some observations:

Expensive, but I used my REI dividend, so I told myself it was OK to splurge.

It's very comfortable - feels much like the other airpads I've used - cushy.

Weighs in right at spec - 13 ounces for the medium.

You can feel the warmth of the pad when you lie down on it - nice.

Some people complain that it has a crinkly noise - I didn't really notice. I like my mattress pretty firm, if you have it only partially inflated it makes a bit more of that "crinkly" noise.

I inflate it when I set up camp, and then top it off before I settle in for the night.

I brought along a piece of blue foam to supplement, in case it got cold. Would start the night out with just the Neoair, to see how it felt on its own. The trips were to Yosemite, the first trip in April and the second in May. Both times the temperature dropped below freezing.
As the temperature dropped into the thirties I would feel cold. Added the blue foam on top of the mattress and was fine after that. The coldest night was in the twenties, woke up with frost covering the tent and the world around me, but with the blue foam over the Neo I was warm and slept well.
The blue foam is from REI and cut down to a 6 ounce pad. I also bring it along as insurance in case the Neoair goes flat.

My old pad is an Pacific Outdoor Insulmat and the Neoair is very close in terms of comfort and warmth. But the Neoair is almost 10 ounces lighter!

Gotta say I like it!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Snusmumriken

Any issues with it deflating overnight?
This is one of the issues that I have read people complain about besides the crinkly
noise, and color.
snusmumriken
Topix Regular

Post by snusmumriken »

My very hazy understanding of physics says that the warm air that I blew it up with looses volume as it cools. Happened with my old airpad to. The way I solve it is to blow it up when I set up camp, then top it off with a breath or two before retiring.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

this will shave a LOT of weight off my pack. If it stays up. I was looking at the exped, but i'm kinda trusting the warranty and my care of it to not puncture. Although, i'd rather it was not Limon. Looks to be almost as thick at the exped, so i'm not so concerned about that. Thicker than what i use now. i always lay out the thermarest and blow right before i go to bed, a second time. just to keep it where i like it.
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

I got to use my new pad that Cascade Designs replaced for my leaky one this last weekend. Nice to have something so compact and light. The color is ok, it is covered up by my bag anyway. Must say though, that I slept better on the Lost Coast trip than I did last weekend using this pad. My shoulders must be sore from cutting/splitting firewood and the swimming with the young ladies on the trip too.:)
Piece of cake.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

looks like REI online is out of the NeoAir Large until early September.. sigh..
trekerrick
Topix Newbie

Post by trekerrick »

I just used my neoair on a backpacking trip to Yellowstone and the Teton Crest trail. It worked perfect and I slept like a baby. I have a question, do you store the neoair loose and with the valve open like the old thermarests, or in the stuff sack?
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

To avoid folding in the same place, at least for now, I deflate mine, a slow job, roll it up, then fold in thirds and use a small Granite Gear stuff sack which is way cheaper than the Cascade Designs sack to store it and protect it. I just need to pick up some goop to seal leaks if they ever develop.
Piece of cake.