Headlamp

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Headlamp

Post by ERIC »

I'm bumping this old topic back up to the top because I'm in the market for a new headlamp, and I'm sure the options have changed a bit since 2005. The headlamp I'm looking to replace is a bulky Petzl that's about 10 years old. I have my eye on the Black Diamond Cosmo. Anyone have this headlamp? Any other lamp I should have a look at instead?
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
markorr
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by markorr »

I looked at the Cosmo last year but opted for the BD Spot instead. After envying it for a year my wife replaced her Tikka with the Spot as well. I chose the Spot over the Cosmo b/c it has a longer reported battery life
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

markorr wrote:I chose the Spot over the Cosmo b/c it has a longer reported battery life
Thanks for the reply, markorr. I had a look online just now, and battery life according to the manufacture specs of the two models appears to be pretty close; unless we're just comparing the high beam rating. The Cosmo is also 1/3 the price, is lighter, and doesn't seem to have a ton of customer reviews complaining about durability issues - the Spot has a number of reviews like that out there in cyberland. Have you had any problems with yours?
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
markorr
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by markorr »

I've not had any problems with mine at all. It did leave me with a bruised forehead when my wife "accidentally" threw an elbow at my head and hit the headlamp, but the lamp survived unscathed. :)
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

Haha! Good to know. Thanks again, markorr.