5 Day 4 Night Minaret Trip

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
markorr
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: 5 Day 4 Night Minaret Trip

Post by markorr »

We just did a loop around Ritter and Banner June 24-28
day 1: starting from Rush Creek to Thousand Island Lake
day 2: Over North Glacier Pass down to Slide Creek
day 3: up Dike Creek to tarn 10,300
day 4: over Ritter Pass to Garnet Lake (with side trip to the ridge above Iceberg Lake)
day 5 out

Thousand Island, Garnet, and Ediza are melted out, Iceberg, Catherine and Nydiver are 90% frozen. I'd guess Cecile is completely frozen. On the east side the snow line was between 9500 and 10000 ft, on the west side it was much higher. Ritter Pass (11,200) was mostly snow free on the west, but solid snow all the way below tarn 9,700.

The cross country route you describe is tame, other than the wall of snow between Cecile and Iceberg. I'd want crampons and an ice axe to get down that. between Minaret and Cecile its a couple of class III moves, but not much exposure. Once you get down to Iceberg its easy cross country travel, although the drop from Whitebark pass down to Garnet L might be a little steep for some people (completely snow covered on saturday). I'll try to get a TR and pics together later this week if i get a chance. Mosquitos were fairly annoying
cvr
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by cvr »

As others have stated, this is indeed an outstandingly scenic route. I think the Ritter Range is one of the most scenic and relativley easily accessable areas in the Sierra, but because of this, you will likley not find solitude.

A few comments:

1. As Ozark Flip correctly states, Shadow L. is closed to camping. It is also well within the reach of dayhikers so you probably would not want to camp there anyway.
2. I personally would exit at Agnew Meadows rather than hike back to Devils Postpile, as the stretch between the two is the least spectacular of your planned route. There is a mandatory shuttle service in the valley that would make getting from Agnew to Devils very quick and simple.
3. I recommend you eliminate the extra night at Shadow and the hike back to Devils (by exiting at Agnew from 1000 Island) and instead dayhike from Minaret L. to the summit of Volcanic Ridge (Easy Class 2, maybe 1 mile and probably 1000'). It has an amazing, close-up view of the Minarets, Ritter and Banner as well as the lakes you will pass on your way from Minaret to Ediza. Minaret L. is beautiful and will probably be the least crowded of all your camping destinations, so why not enjoy two nights there.
4. Unless your girlfriend is an experienced backpacker, your itinerary appears pretty agressive. The route bewteen Minaret L. and Ediza is not terribly difficult, but it is not for beginners. As others have stated, the snowfield between Cecile and Iceberg is pretty steep and the run-out is right into the lake. I have crossed it numerous times using just a single walking stick, but I was glad to have it.
Todd2700
Topix Novice

Post by Todd2700 »

Just out of curiosity, do most hikers do this hike starting at Minaret lake or the Ediza lake side ? I'm also interested in hearing the advantages/disadvantages of starting in either direction. Thanks guys.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Early season without either ice axe or crampons, or hiking poles, going between Cecile and Iceberg runs the possibility of sliding into the ice cold lake that has only steep slippery ice to grab onto at the shore. Without such, without the savvy experience on hard snow of being a mountaineer or an advanced skier, fools please step forward.

http://www.davidsenesac.com/Iceberg_Lak ... 11-06.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Shawn »

This past Sunday I was on the east side and made a quick out-and-back jaunt to Lake Ediza. As noted, the skeeters were annoying (okay, really bad if you forget the Deet). Anyway, I took a little video which doesn't add any value here other than an idea of what things look like along the trail between Agnew Meadoes and Lake Ediza.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rZo9xJ8jfM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jasondaven
Topix Newbie

Post by jasondaven »

Thanks alot for all of the info. The side hike to Volcanic Ridge from Ediza lake sounds interesting any details on this off shoot? I am looking forward to the trip. We are going to go ahead with it!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

You can also go over Volcanic Pass which is a class 2, instead of the Cecile-Iceberg
route if you uncomfortable with the class 2-3 snow route.
After staying at Minaret Lake go back on the trail and head up towards the Minaret mine
and over the obvious pass and then down to Cabin Lake, and on to Ediza Lake.
Also the lakes west of Garnet Lakes are pretty with meadows full of wildflowers
and no people.
If going in July or early August be prepared for the skeetrz, otherwise you will
never get your girlfriend to go backpacking with you again.