Obscure Eastside Entries?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Obscure Eastside Entries?

Post by cgundersen »

An "old" hiking buddy is planning to bring his 20 year old son out for a 2-3 night trip in August, and he wants to do something "novel". This is a guy who barely flinched on some of my "most" favorite off trail notches (like Milly's and Echo col). So, I was curious whether anyone has recent experience/comments on routes like North Dragon Pass or Gould Pass. Also out of the Onion Valley area, has anyone ever gone to Robinson Lake and then just kept going? Is it possible to get over the ridge south of Robinson with a pack? Any other suggestions for obscure routes would be appreciated (for instance, has anyone gone up to Gable Lakes from Pine Creek and then managed to get into French Canyon, directly, or indirectly; or further south, how is the route up and over from Birch Lake- specifically, Lane Pass, not Birch Creek?).
Thanks,
CG
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Obscure Eastside Entries?

Post by Snow Nymph »

I went by Robinson, and over the pass to do University Pk. Plan was to do Bradley, but from the pass we would have to drop 1500', the still climb to get to Bradley. My hiking partner was sick, and we got way behind schedule, so we decided to do University instead. We only had day packs and it was pretty steep with a lot of loose rock. We were pulling ourselves up using the more solid rocks.

Someone approaching University Pass:

Someone passing us:

MORE PHOTOS: http://snownymph.smugmug.com/gallery/33 ... 4380_y5rp7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Snowy,
That looks pretty promising; I'll encourage the Swans (yeh, they can fly, I can't) to take a peek (peak?) and see what they think.
Thanks!
CG
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

How about going over Cleaver Col(class 3) to visit the Tulainyo Lake area, and back out
Russell-Carillon Pass(class 2-3).
Up George Creek(which is a difficult route) over Tyndall Col(class 2) and back out over
Vacation Pass(class 2-3), this one is pretty fun.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Mav,
Never thought about the Cleaver. From what I've seen in a couple of web postings, it looks like it might have us for lunch, but I'll forward it to the Swan. As for George Creek, I've always wondered about it, but my impression is that it's off limits all Summer (to protect the sheep) and is only open for a brief window of time in late Winter or early Spring. However, I may be wrong...
CG
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Sorry, your right, I scanned over the August part.
It is open April 15 - May 15, and Dec 15-Jan 1.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

-In Scimitar Pass and out Southfork Pass, both class 3
-In Birch Creek Pass (class 3) out Lane Pass (Class 2)
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Maverick,
Do you (or anyone) have any recent photos or first-hand accounts of going over any of those beasties? I've been close enough to Southfork on both sides (on day hikes) that I'm pretty sure I'm not up for that puppy. But, with sufficient encouragement and a demented duo of hiking partners, who knows? My experience often is that the closer you get to some of these babies, the better they look. But, as with the version of Ritter Pass that I took last autumn, there are spots I'd really wished I'd never gotten into; my adrenals just don't work the way they used to....
CG