5 Day 4 Night Minaret Trip

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
jasondaven
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

5 Day 4 Night Minaret Trip

Post by jasondaven »

Hello. I am planning on a 5 DAY 4 night trip to this region. I am a level 3 hiker. I am a class 2-3 hiker. I am looking for Big Mountain scenery and fishing. I am looking to string together a trip. I have seen recomended:
Devils postpile to Mineret Lake- Camp.
Mineret Lake to Cecil, Iceberg, Ediza- Camp
Ediza to Nydiver, Garnet and thousand islands lake-Camp
Hike back to Postpile with a night at Shadow.

I have been looking at some topos for this trip and I was wonderng how difficult the off trail backcounty work is? I will be travelling with my girlfriend. Is the mineret lake to cecil, iceberg, ediza leg difficult? Any verbal descriptions on any of the legs? Any advice on the route?

Also does anyone have any ideas on other routes through the area taht are reccomended? Agnew meadows etc. Thanks alot for any advice!
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 5 Day 4 Night Minaret Trip

Post by copeg »

Its a beautiful trip and a spectacular area - definitely fits the bill for big mountain scenery. Depending upon how soon you go you may want to be prepared for snow. I saw a photo of Minaret Lake take last weekend and it still looked a bit frozen over, tough to fish. There is a perennial snowfield on north facing slope between Cecile and Iceberg you should be aware of with a steep drop down to Iceberg Lake, and if your not careful INTO the Lake.
Todd2700
Topix Novice

Post by Todd2700 »

I'm looking into the same trip but the oppo direction.

Shadow lake trail or high trail to 1,000 Island, then to garnet, Ediza, Iceberg, Cecile, Minaret, Devils.

Thoughts ?
Todd2700
Topix Novice

Post by Todd2700 »

copeg: do you have that pic of minaret from last week ?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Here is a shot off MInaret Lake taken this past weekend by a photographer.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/787779" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As you can see the lake is still just starting to thaw, and from what I have read
1000 Is Lake is still frozen.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Jasondaven

You mentioned your experience, what about your girlfriends comfort level?
The x-country travel is not difficult, but trekking poles should be used for balance
crossing the snowfield at the Cecile-Iceberg section of the route, which should
be done later in the day so the snow softens, unless your willing to carry crampons.
Todd2700
Topix Novice

Post by Todd2700 »

Has thousand island been frozen over this late in the year before ? I mean it's july, right ?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

As of 6/24 1000 Island Lake is still snow bound according to the Inyo NF
update, and snow level is at 10000.
1000 Is Lake is at 9833, and Minaret is at 9793, so my guess is that it has probably
thawed out a little since that last report almost a week ago.
copeg

Post by copeg »

Todd2700 wrote:copeg: do you have that pic of minaret from last week ?
Floris' pictures that maverick posted a link to was what I was thinking of. Here's another with a higher perspective showing more of the lake:
http://www.naturephotographers.net/imag ... &pr=124926" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Concur with maverick's assessment regarding the other lakes
Ozark Flip
Topix Regular

Post by Ozark Flip »

Its a beautiful trip and a spectacular area - definitely fits the bill for big mountain scenery.
It certainly is! Morning shots of Ritter and Banner....one of the most scenic areas I have ever been to. This, however, attracts hoards of hikers. I was flabbergasted my last time there, campers at Shadow (special camping regs apply there so beware), ALL up and down Shadow creek, Ediza, heck I even counted 15 people camping at Iceberg!
There is a perennial snowfield on north facing slope between Cecile and Iceberg you should be aware of with a steep drop down to Iceberg Lake, and if your not careful INTO the Lake.
;) For Sure!!!

Flip