Kern Point Lake Info?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Kern Point Lake Info?

Post by maverick »

I asked about this lake 1-2 years ago and have not heard anything about it yet in
any reports.
Anyone hear about this lake? Is it an virgin/unvisited lake?
No trip reports from either backpackers or climbers climbing Kern Point, though
climbers go up from the west.
I was tempted to visit Blue Canyon's lakes on its eastern side above Goddard
Canyon, but the views from Kern Point Lake toward Bighorn Plateau, Wright &
Wallace Lakes and the entire Whitney area, and then north towards Kern Divide
is just to tempting to pass up.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Re: Kern Point Lake Info?

Post by copeg »

Wish I had info...it is definitely positioned to have little traffic with a lot of appeal. Seems like an approach coming from the north (Milestone) would be easiest?
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

Maverick, I was in the general area (where the Wallace Creek switchbacks intersect with the Kern River trail) last year and ran into three hikers who were working for the National Park Service. They were surveying lakes for water purity and had just come down from Lake 11,588 (what you call Kern Point Lake). I'm not sure of their route, but it looks doable from the Kern drainage on either side of the stream draining from the lake, and there is an easier route involving a high traverse from the Milestone watershed.

This is just the kind of out-of-the-way place I like to visit. If you get there, be sure to post photos!

Mike
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Maverick,
I know that Giantbrookie had posted about a near-visit to Kern Point Lake a while back, and I obviously was staring in that direction from the Kaweah basin just recently (and, it looks well worth the time/effort). However, I've never been there myself, nor do I know anyone who has. Along with a few other off-the-beaten-path lakes in the southern Sierra (like, Mist Lake), it's certainly on the list of places I'd like to get to (though Blue Canyon is still higher on my list). I'm guessing that if you go in the near future, you'll have a lot of skeeters for company. At the same time, I'm virtually certain that fewer folks get up there than the backside of the Kaweahs, so it should be pretty virgin turf!
CG
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Milestone, Kern Ridge, and going up next to the stream are the three options I
was looking at.
It is good to hear that the stream version is doable, though hiking south on the bench
seems the most appealing because of the chance to see the other lakes.Thanks