Sabrina Basin TR

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
treadwell
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Sabrina Basin TR

Post by treadwell »

Left Socal early AM on the 19th and made the run up 395 to Bishop. After a stop at Jack's and the permit office we hit the trail about 9:30. Made the climb to Blue Lake stopping to talk with a trail maintenance worker at about 9500'. This is where we encountered the only skeeters of the trip. Camped at Blue Lake along with a couple other groups. That night we had some wind and a bout of snow pellets for an hour or so.

Saturday we took a daytrip up to Baboon Lakes. The snow is still a factor along stretches of the trail and stopped us at the Lower Baboon Lake. The middle lake was about 2/3 frozen over. Basically above 11'500 you'll be dealing with icy or soft snow depending on the time of day.

Sunday we moved up to Hungry Packer Lake. The lake froze overnight then broke up in the PM. Lots of nice sized Brookies cruising the shoreline, btw. The weather improved each day and Sunday seemed to have a summer pattern feel to it. Temps 65-70 Hi and mid 30's to lower 40's at night. No buildups like the previous two days.

Monday hiked out early and there were only two other cars in the hiker parking
area. Nice trip but with all the standing water in the basin the skeeters are going to be swarming soon imho.

Here are the photos, Enjoy.
http://treadwell.smugmug.com/gallery/86 ... 9940_38v6P" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Sabrina Basin TR

Post by maverick »

Thanks for the TR.
I liked the Lower and Middle Baboon Lake shot.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Treadwell,
Great shots! Last time I was at Hungry Packer, that boulder on the right shore was a great launch pad for hopping in the lake. With melting ice floes it looked a bit chillier on this trip. Yep, I was guessing that the mosquitoes are due for a full bloom; only so long that the weather keeps the beasties down!
CG
treadwell
Topix Acquainted

Post by treadwell »

maverick wrote:Thanks for the TR.
I liked the Lower and Middle Baboon Lake shot.
Yeah it's amazing what can happen when your trail finding skills put you just a little off course when you reach your destination....LOL.
rayfound
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by rayfound »

Very cool trip. Nice pictures to boot. Did you catch any of those nice brookies you saw?
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

Been a while since I've visited the area...fond memories. Thanks for sharing the report and photos.
treadwell
Topix Acquainted

Post by treadwell »

rayfound wrote:Very cool trip. Nice pictures to boot. Did you catch any of those nice brookies you saw?
No rayfound, the fish were in the spawning mode so we left them for another trip. We did catch some smaller brookies at Blue Lake though.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

I was just in Sabrina Basin last October, when I climbed Haeckel. It's amazing how much more snow there is now! The Baboon lake pictures are nice. I got caught in a huge downpour at the lower lake and hid under a cave.