Tuna and Bears?

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Tuna and Bears?

Post by gary c. »

I'm doing my first backpacking trip into Yosemite Valley in a couple weeks and wondered if taking packaged tuna is as bad an idea as a couple people have suggested to me? The wife loves the stuff and we always bring it along on our trips into other areas but I realize the bear situation in Yosemite is much different. Do you guys leave the tuna at home?
Gary C.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Tuna and Bears?

Post by maverick »

I take pkg salmon, and sometimes oysters, and have not had a problem with bears.
When I carried heavier I used to love making salmon quesadillas every night!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Packaged pouch tuna mixed with sautéed garlic…wild onions
Add it to Lipton’s Chicken and Rice…red pepper flakes…
Damn fine eating – usually will carry/bearcan two of these – part of my dinner “menu” selection for a typical 10-day trek –
(Has always been eaten – never the last meal remaining in the bottom of the return-home bag.)
Mountainman who swims with trout
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

markskor wrote:Packaged pouch tuna mixed with sautéed garlic…wild onions
Add it to Lipton’s Chicken and Rice…red pepper flakes…
Damn fine eating – usually will carry/bearcan two of these – part of my dinner “menu” selection for a typical 10-day trek –
(Has always been eaten – never the last meal remaining in the bottom of the return-home bag.)
So you guys are saying don't sweat the small stuff?

Since it's my thread to hijack I'll take it a little further in Marks direction. I'm really starting to enjoy this dehydrator stuff :D

One meal that for me turned out great was to put .25cp dehydrated mixed veggies and .25cp dehydrated mushrooms in boiling water. Turn off the heat and add 2oz of bacon and let sit 5minutes. After sitting awhile I stir in enough garlic mashed potatoes for consistancy and salt and pepper. A buddy of mine calls it "Backpackers Sheppard Pie". VERY GOOD

One of the meals I'm going to try this weekend and see if it's worth taking is to heat/hydrate some ramen(no seasoning pouch), sundried tomatoes, dehydrated bell peppers and mushrooms, and pour off the water. Then add a little garlic powder, italian seasoning, lots of parmasian cheese, and shelf some stable bacon. Also a little olive oil.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

gary c. wrote:One of the meals I'm going to try this weekend and see if it's worth taking is to heat/hydrate some ramen(no seasoning pouch), sundried tomatoes, dehydrated bell peppers and mushrooms, and pour off the water. Then add a little garlic powder, italian seasoning, lots of parmasian cheese, and shelf some stable bacon. Also a little olive oil.
We do something very similar, though instead of bacon we've used salami (I like the bacon idea, though). I jar my homemade/homegrown sundried tomatoes in an olive oil blend and have found that the residual coating of oil sufficiently greases the ramen - no need to add extra oil.
Tastes good, and easy to prepare.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Thanks Eric, I'll probably give the salami a try also. I almost always carry some dry salami and a couple tuna packs. The reason I've been useing the bacon a lot is for something new and different. I found it at my local $ store in 2.8oz packages and so far it has been very good in everything I've tried. It needs no refigeration until it is opened and one package is just right for two meals. I'm not someone that worries much about sodium but it is very high in the bacon, I presume as a preservative. I think I'm going to make my first attempt at dehydrating some hamburger this weekend and see how that goes :confused:
Gary C.
-- Lionel Terray
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

Definitely going to give the bacon idea a whirl. I sweat a lot, so the sodium issue is really a non-issue for me. Plus, I like things on the salty side - must be my Swedish blood.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix