Question about the WWII pilot who was found

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Skibum
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by Skibum »

Thanks Eric,

I had not seen this article yet. Shoot, we all thought for sure that it was Munn. I guess it still might be.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/02/03/airman ... topstories

Frozen WWII airman identified
Climbers found body in glacier, near where training craft crashed

From Thelma Gutierrez and Dree De Clamecy
CNN
Saturday, February 4, 2006; Posted: 9:53 p.m. EST (02:53 GMT)

ORANGE PARK, Florida (CNN) -- The U.S. military has identified the body of a World War II airman that climbers found in October at the bottom of a glacier in the Sierra Nevada mountain range.

Family members said they learned this week that the man was 22-year-old Army Air Corps cadet Leo Mustonen, who died in a 1942 plane crash.

Mustonen joined the Army during his senior year in high school in Brainerd, Minnesota, and was in training to become a navigator when he was reported missing on November 18, 1942.

Mustonen was son of Finnish immigrants. He was one of four cadets aboard a training flight that crashed in the Sierra Nevada mountains east of Fresno.

The National Park Service has said it is considering whether to launch a new search in the spring for the remains of the other three men, pilot Lt. Bill Gamber, and navigator trainees Glenn Munn and Melvin Mortensen.

A Defense Department official called the Mustonen family on Wednesday and confirmed that the identity of the body found in October, relatives said. (Watch: A family learns the identity of the airman -- 4:21)

"I felt in my heart all along that it was him," said Mustonen's niece Leane Mustonen Ross. "I've even made funeral arrangements and everything."

The family plans to have Mustonen's remains interred along with his parents in Brainerd, about 130 miles north of Minneapolis, she said.

"It's filling a pain and bringing it all together," another of Mustonen's nieces, Ona Lea Mustonen. "To know how someone died and what happened to them stops the question mark."

Some wreckage from the aircraft was found in 1947, but no bodies were discovered until October, when climbers spotted Mustonen's frozen remains in a mountainous area of Kings Canyon National Park. (Full story)

Mustonen was wearing a WWII-era Army Air Corps uniform when forensic scientists removed his body from its icy tomb and took it to the largest forensic lab in the world, the Joint POW/MIA Accounting Command in Honolulu, Hawaii.

Investigators said then that they had narrowed the search for the body's identity to 10 World War II soldiers among thousands who are missing or unidentified.

Using hair and teeth, scientists determined that the man was at least 21 years old, and the bones indicated that he died when his plane crashed into the mountains six decades ago, forensic experts said.

"The injuries are so substantial, he didn't feel anything. He died immediately," said Dr. Robert Mann, a forensic anthropologist.

Scientists also found a corroded nameplate, clothing remnants, a broken plastic comb, dimes dating between 1936 and 1942, an Army Air Corps insignia on his uniform and three small leather-bound address books.

The pages of the address books were too decomposed to glean any useful information.

More than two dozen planes crashed in the Sierras during World War II.

Scientists said in November they were hopeful that DNA testing would help identify the airman. Forensic scientists collected DNA samples from family members of the men who were on the plane and, through the process of elimination, identified the remains as those of Mustonen.

Marjorie Freeman, a family friend, said Mustonen dreamed of becoming an engineer when he enlisted.

"Oh, Mr. and Mrs. Mustonen were so proud of that, and they were so happy he was really going to make something of himself," Freeman said.

She said Mustonen's mother, Anna, died in 1969 without ever coming to terms with her son's disappearance.

"I can see her so plainly, sitting across my mother-in-law's kitchen table -- my mother-in-law on one end and Mrs. Mustonen on the other -- having coffee, and tears running down her face."

Ross said the family -- which has traced relatives back to 1632 -- now feels "absolute elation and joy" about being able to write the last chapter in their uncle's life story.

"We are so delighted that we can take him and put him to rest with his mother and father. That's what we would like to do," she said.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

I hope this isn't a stupid question...:)

Skibum, what is your real name and how long have you worked for the NPS? My dad had a long career with the NPS as a rescue ranger in several parks. Do you have any rescues in the book Death, Daring, and Disaster, (Search and rescue in the National Parks)?

Cool story.[/i]
Skibum
Founding Member

Post by Skibum »

Greetings Mountaineer,

Jim Gould. I've been a ranger for 16 years. :eek: . Good grief how time flies! I'm not in the book. Most of the rescues in that book were before my time. What parks did your father work at?
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

Jim, my dad, Jim Langford, worked at the Everglades, Tetons, Joshua Tree, and Pinnacles NM. He started in the early 50's, left the NPS in 1977 due to politics, and transferred to the Army as a civilian Range Conservationist at Fort Hunter Ligett in Monterey County. He retired in 1990.

Keep up the good work!
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Airman buried six decades after crash in Sierra Nevada

Post by ERIC »

Airman buried six decades after crash in Sierra Nevada

By Patrick Condon
Associated Press
Posted on Sat, Mar. 25, 2006

BRAINERD, Minn. - A World War II airman whose frozen body was chipped out of a glacier on the California side of the Sierra Nevada mountains last fall was laid to rest in his hometown Friday, more than six decades after the young man disappeared during a training flight.

Leo Mustonen's two nieces were among about 100 people who gathered at First Lutheran Church to say goodbye. A full military funeral followed at a cemetery overlooking the Mississippi River.

``This is one of the most unique and special days that any of us will ever be a part of,'' Pastor Andy Smith said. ``Today we are burying a small-town boy from Brainerd, Minn., who dreamed of flying.''

Mustonen was 22 when his AT-7 navigational plane disappeared after takeoff from a Sacramento airfield on Nov. 18, 1942. All four men aboard were killed in the crash.

But Mustonen's remains were not found until last year, when two mountain climbers in Kings Canyon National Park spotted an arm jutting out of the ice. Forensic scientists analyzed bones, DNA samples and the airman's teeth before declaring in February that the body was Mustonen's.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

Skibum,

Have there been any new leads on the other airmen (ie Munn)? Is the search ongoing??

Cheers
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
Skibum
Founding Member

Post by Skibum »

Eric! Sorry it took me so long to respond :o

There was talk of revisiting the area to look for more wreckage or remains, but SARs and other missions kind of took up most of the time this summer. It's getting a little late in the season now, so i'm not sure if it will happen this year. Hopefully next summer. Interesting tidbit. Wreckage from a possible WWII aircraft was located in talus below Darwin Glacier over the ridge south of Mendel. Maybe he tried to jump before crashing, but did not have enough altitude for his parachute to deploy???