TR: Kaweah Basin June '09

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
quentinc
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Kaweah Basin June '09

Post by quentinc »

Thanks Maverick -- that makes more sense that what I was looking at.

The HST does look easier than Mineral King with its two passes. But 9 Lakes Basin in a day --
what's that, 18 miles and 4000 foot gain? I think my days of doing that are behind me. :)
Mike M.
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Mike M. »

Maverick:

Thanks for posting the excellent photo of Pyra-Queen Col. I assume this was taken from Kaweah Basin. Is that correct? I had a hard time following your written route description. Does the yellow line in the photo below point to the col?

Mike

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Yes Mike, that is the pass, but from the west, not Kaweah Basin.
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

Maverick, what does the east side (the Kaweah Basin side) of the pass look like?

Mike
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Mike

I found someone's site that has pictures of both sides of the pass, close up.
Scroll down towards the middle of the page to day 8 and check out the pic's.
http://www.tumtum.com/climbing/trips/Si ... art2.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Nice report and a fine trip into some daunting weather. I too find Kaweah Pass much worse than advertised. The loose talus on the north side is the worst I've ever seen and I would take Pants Pass over it anytime. I would have been happy to see much of that rock covered by snow.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

Thanks for the link, Maverick!

Mike
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi All,
I was out of the loop there for a few days, but I'll try to cull some more shots of Pyra-queen from Kaweah basin and get them posted. I must say that Pyra-queen looked very inviting (compared with Kaweah Pass), but since we did not recall what was on the west side (and thanks to Maverick for the great shot from the west), we took the conservative route. I'm not surprised to hear that the loose-rock situation is normally even worse than what we hit on Kaweah; indeed, that's one reason my wife tends to like to get out when there's lots of snow. It often saves us from some nasty talus/scree. Still, I'd have enjoyed seeing a bit more open water than we did. I think we'll aim to go back there some autumn, as Q is thinking about (once we get a Blue Canyon trip under our belts).
CG
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10845599@N ... 343306369/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hi All,
Well, I'll need Greg to give me directions for activating links to Flickr. Regardless, if you copy/paste the above link into your web browser, it will bring up the several (relatively long range) shots of the Kaweah basin side of Pyra queen col/pass. Frankly, the pass looked pretty tolerable from below and though I'm sure that it's not a trivial route, it certainly looked to be preferable to Kaweah pass.
CG
Last edited by cgundersen on Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Turns out there is an excellent webpage with close up shots of Pyra-queen col. I'll paste the link, but it may be necessary to copy it into your web browser to access the photos. The ramp on the Kaweah basin side looks a little iffy if one has a heavy load, but otherwise, it's a clear shot!
http://sierrahiker.home.comcast.net/~si ... td212.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CG