Trip ideas for 5 night trip, mid JuL! from SLC & never been!

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
nattycakes
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Trip ideas for 5 night trip, mid JuL! from SLC & never been!

Post by nattycakes »

We are planning a trip in mid July to go over to the Sierra Nevadas.. Never been and want to see some beautiful areas! We don't want to be driving the whole time so something that is closer to us from UT would be better unless there is something that is a "must" we gotta see. Some hardcore days.. Some more chill days.. Any advice/suggestions would be sweet toast!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Trip ideas for 5 night trip, mid JuL! from SLC & never been!

Post by maverick »

Hi Nattycakes

Welcome to HST.
You have to give me some more info about yourself, your experience, before I can
comfortably recommend the type of trip that will be in line with your experience level.
How many miles a day(hardcore is not precise enough)? Do you have some x-country
experience or not? Are you comfy with class 2 passes? Will you have 1 or 2 cars?
Loop or out and back? How long have you been backpacking? Thanks
Timberline
Topix Regular

Post by Timberline »

Hey nattycakes, Welcome to HST!

You'll get lots of good advice from the folks here, but let me be the first to suggest a coupla options for our first visit to the Sierra. To begin, just the drive on Hwy 395 from Reno south is spectacular enough to overload your senses, making you want to stop and explore every canyon and recess into the eastern side. Depending on how far south you want to go. . .

' ' ' the headwaters of the Middle Fork of the San Joaquin River originate in some of the finest high country that is easily accessible. Aim for 1,000 Island Lake via the High Trial from Agnew Meadows to feast on the vistas to the west. This is storied country, from the 1800's mining history to Ansel Adams, whose name graces this wilderness. The lake is a good base camp for day hikes in several directions, north to the Donohue Pass entrance to Yosemite and the Lyell Fork of the Tuolumne, west to Glacier Pass and views of the remote North Fork country, or south to Shadow, Ediza, Iceberg and Minarets Lakes. All superb areas, but likely crowded.

' ' ' Little Lakes Valley and Rock Creek provide another entrance further south (see HST post by Jussi "Suggestions for hiking trip from Little Lakes Valley/Rock Cr") that is worth a first visit. You start high here, trailhead at 10,000 ft, so give yourself time to acclimatize if you're intent on hardcore miles the first day.

' ' ' Any of the drainages west of Bishop offer their own unique rewards. Get out your map, or wander it on Google Earth or something, for a preview. Wander this site for good info and trip reports on this special area.

These are only general suggestions of course, but I encourage you to look further and plan accordingly, following maverick's inquiry. All your options here require some advance planning for permits and logistics, so check with National Forest or Park sites about regulations, procedures, etc. Also, listen to the expert advice of those who frequently post here and you'll be well assisted.

Good luck, be safe, have fun, and report back! \:D/
Let 'er Buck! Back in Oregon again!
nattycakes
Topix Newbie

Post by nattycakes »

Dearest Maverick,

My stats.. Lol..

*1 car... don't mind walking on a road to get back to the car if needs be.

*Would really prefer a loop.

*Well an average day i'd say is 10-14 miles?

*We have a dog so that may be a factor in the class 2 stuff i'm thinking.. But the dog is insane and jumps and climbs over stuff.. But too many boulders and ropes I think would just be too difficult for our cache pup. Also.. I don't even know the logistics on dogs over there.. I have some research to do for sure... We were thinkinking maybe going to the beartooths but I really would like to check out the sierras..

*We like our packs to be less than 25#

*I just got hooked last year so definately a newbie... Went up to the Winds and was instantly addicted... but my lovin man has been backpacking for 15 years (since he was a boyscout lol) and definately knows the ropes but hasn't ventured to the Sierras before.

Hope that gives you something to go off of.

Thanks for the warm welcome!
miss cakes :D
nattycakes
Topix Newbie

Post by nattycakes »

Wow Timberline!

Thank you so much for all of the advice! I'm totally gonna go google earth that stuff.. Doesn't that thing rock? We don't like as many crowds/heavily populated areas but want to see some eye candy! I def. am gonna have to start doing my homework... But it's nice to have advice from people who know the area well and can point me in the right direction. :nod:
So thanks friend!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Natty

I see Timberline has chimed in, unfortunately dogs are not allowed in the National Parks
so that will alleviate them.
IMHO Ansel Adams will be the best place for you to visit as an intro to the Sierra.
Thousand Island, Ediza, Garnet, and Minaret Lakes are all beautiful with the
Minarets, Mt. Ritter, and Banner Peak as your back drop, postcard perfect!
I would recommend the Minaret Lake to Thousand Is Lake route, but I am worried
about pooch in the Cecile to Iceberg Lake section, maybe someone who has taken
there dog can chime in.
Beck Lakes area really pretty too, and worth visiting.
Nydiver Lakes is a good place to base camp since not to many people visit it, also
the area under North Glacier Pass(above Thousand Is Lake) on its eastern side is a
good camp spot.
If your into peak bagging than Banner is easy from Catherine Lake.
Get R.J.Secor's book "The High Sierra Peaks, Passes, and Trails" for trails, and especially
the x-country passes/trails.
Also Phil Arnot's book " High Sierra" has the route from Minaret to Ediza Lake very
well described in the "The Minarets" section of this book.
He also has some other idea's worth reading about in that section.
nsmeier
Topix Acquainted

Post by nsmeier »

The book "Sierra South" by Thomas Winnet et al is full of great trips with raily detailed descriptions.
nattycakes
Topix Newbie

Post by nattycakes »

Thank you! I was gonna ask if there was a recommended book.
markorr
Topix Acquainted

Post by markorr »

I like _Trekking California_ by Paul Richins. A mixture of cross-country and trail, mostly in the Sierras