tenayah lake

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
don norton
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

tenayah lake

Post by don norton »

I am going to Tenayah Lake by way of Cloud Rest camping at Tenayah Lake continue on to G.A. by way of May Lake is there any great views or something off trail worth hiking to see. Also camping at G. A. Friday night from there to Tuolumne for food cache is that a pretty straight forward trail have to be at P O by 12:00 on Saturday. Any advise or help would be greatly appreciated. :nod:
Last edited by don norton on Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tim
Topix Expert

Re: tenayah lake

Post by tim »

There's a free shuttle bus every half hour from Tenaya to Tuolumne Mdws which might be an easy alternative. See http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tmbus.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

When you get to the May Lake HSC, climb up on the ridge behind the kitchen/mess hall. There's a good view of half dome, clouds rest, etc from up there. It's only a 5 min walk and worth it, IMO.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Is there legal camping at Tenaya?

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

Not any more...
The campground there (at Tenaya Lake) was closed in ~92.
Mountainman who swims with trout
don norton
Topix Acquainted

Post by don norton »

markskor wrote:Not any more...
The campground there (at Tenaya Lake) was closed in ~92.
Mark is there camping anywhere around there. How far from G A can one camp? I will be coming up from May lake :(
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

“How far from G A can one camp? I will be coming up from May Lake?”
I thought YNP established the “No Camping within 4 miles of road” rule, governing all camping activity along the 120 corridor.
Thus, there is no camping south of GA to Soda Springs. There are a few possibilities along the way once down…Yosemite Creek or White Wolf area, but, as mentioned above, with the free hiker bus out of Tuolumne running - why just not stay BP camp and soak down a few…easy bus access then to Sunrise trailhead in the morning.
Mountainman who swims with trout
adam
Topix Acquainted

Post by adam »

one place kinda near the lake you could camp is mildred lake-- easy and nice cross country from the downstream end of the lake (west, I guess). I dont' know if that's on your route or helpful, though.
don norton
Topix Acquainted

Post by don norton »

adam wrote:one place kinda near the lake you could camp is mildred lake-- easy and nice cross country from the downstream end of the lake (west, I guess). I dont' know if that's on your route or helpful, though.
Adam how far is this from Tuolumne Meadows I have to be at the P O by 12:00. Let me explaine I am starting at Happly Isles on Wedenesday, 2 Night at Tenayah Lake and was planning on camping around G A Friday night and getting started early Saturday in order to pickup food cache at Tuolumne. f I don't get there before they close I will have to camp there until Monday. Any advise you can give me will be much appreciated.
adam
Topix Acquainted

Post by adam »

Mildred lake is about 7-8ish miles from T meadows-- I guess you'd go cross country to hit the sunrise-cathedral trail, then on out, but I've never done it (my one visit was a day hike from tenaya lake about 15 years ago). However, if you're looking for a places to stop en route to glen aulin, then lower sunrise lake and may lake would be more logical camp sites.

If your goal is to camp within quick striking distance of T meadows, glen aulin would be better than Mildred lake for sure. I don't know if you have your heart set on glen aulin, but you could just stay south of 120 and go to the sunrise and cathedral areas, and then leave from cathedral lake to 120 (3.5 miles) and catch a shuttle or hike the last mile along the trail that parallels the road to T meadows. Most of the area around sunrise and cathedral lakes is really open and fun for dayhiking/exploring if you were to end up with an extra night there.