Which Bear Canister?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Which Bear Canister?

Post by gary c. »

Wondering if haste may have been the bigger culprit?
Eric, for the most part I think you are right. When I take the time to actually watch what I'm doing my fingers are safe. The trouble is it's usually late, I'm tired, and I get careless. That is why reaching in my pocket and grabbing my pocket knife has just gotten to be a habit. At the same time I know a few people that seem to struggle opening there BV no matter what.
Gary C.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

ERIC wrote:Re: Being able to sit on the Bearikade

Do you feel that's an advantage over BV? You can sit on a BV, too. A bear can sit on it for that matter. :p Makes a fine stool.

Re: Injury from opening a BV...

Wondering if haste may have been the bigger culprit? I've opened many BV's owned by others on the trail, and must have opened and closed my two new BV's 50 times the other night and that's the only explanation I can come up with. Press the lid rim firmly and turn slowly and it's hard for me to see how one could mash a hand.
I wasn't in a hurry to open the BV in the REI store. Not sure why, but i followed the opening instructions, and it cut me. Not a slight on the product, but it just felt wrong (for me.) Maybe it's something you learn with a new canister. I didn't like the BV design, and i didn't like the weight of the Garcial.

Yes you can sit on a BV.

I just got my new custom 12" bearikade, so i'm happy now.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

FISHPOLE wrote:Eric , a wise man once told me that you need to be smarter than the equipment and it sounds like you are there. :lol: Congrats
Now if I could only use that intellect to decrease the can's weight I'd be home free. :lol:
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Bear Canister Sizes

Post by MountainMinstrel »

fishmonger wrote:
snusmumriken wrote: When I stop for a snack, I just open the top of my pack, use a coin, and I am grabbing the goodies out of the canister...
Back when I used the Garcia, I would always loose the coins. Then I would have to use my knive to open it. It seems to me that there is much more danger of cutting oneself with a knife than a lid. I have never had a problem opening the BV and as far as getting into it during the day for snacks, gorp is in a side pocket and lunch is in the top pocket getting warm enough for the peanutbutter and honey to easily squirt out onto the tort.

I guess it is just a matter of what works for you, and for me and my limited budget, the BV works.

In fact, if I had the money to get a bearicade, I would probably spend it on a neoair instead :D
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.