Trail Runners

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Trail Runners

Post by maverick »

So my last pair of Montrail Hardrocks 08 have died, and the
09 versions have been changed, bummer, and do not fit the same.
I can not find the 08 size I wear on-line, so my question is, has anyone
used the Hardrocks and switched to another trail runner for backpacking
and has been happy with there switch?
If yes, what brand?
markorr
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Trail Runners

Post by markorr »

I switched from the Hardrocks to the Continental Divides (found them cheap at rei.com/outlet late last year) Not sure if they've also changed the design on those this year. I keep looking at the Montrail Namche's which are basically a hightop version of the Hardrock. mgear.com usually has them cheap
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

That sucks. I hate it when manufacturers think they need to "jazz up" their product. Luckily, I bought 3 pairs of Hardrocks the last time I ordered, precisely because of the fear of never knowing when they'd stop making them or change them. For heavier-duty boots, I used to wear the Montrail Moraines. They stopped making those a few years ago, and I have yet to find a replacement that fits my feet.
rayfound
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by rayfound »

quentinc wrote:That sucks. I hate it when manufacturers think they need to "jazz up" their product.
Be honest, you hate when a manufacturer think they need to "jazz up" a product that you particularly LIKE. the one that suits you personally best (we all do).

But, that's how products are... you gotta keep moving or die. That's how we got all the great products we have now, and as a whole, the future products will be better (some, undoubtedly will be worse, however).

Sure its frustrating, not being able to replace that old trusty *whatever* that wore out, but the company isn't jazzing it up because its easy or they feel like it. Product development is complicated, risky, expensive products, and companies generally don't abandon products that are doing particularly well in the marketplace.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Hey Mav -

Did you find a suitable replacement?

I'm thinking of buying a pair of the '09 Hardrocks (the hi-top version). Can you tell me the "cons" of the '09 version?

My current Asolo boots have trashed my feet too many times so I am seeking to convert to a trail running type shoe. I would buy the low version of the Hardrocks but it seems too big of a change for me (from traditional hiking boot to running shoe). I also wonder what the experience of others might be using trail runners in the high country?

Thanks,

Shawn
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Rayfound -- actually I hate it when manufacturers think they need to jazz up products period. It's so often just re-styling, rather than any functional improvement. Just like with cars, in many cases all it does it add to the cost (and price) of the product.

Shawn -- I've tried backpacking in trailrunner Hardrocks, but only on trail/easy off-trail. I'd be afraid to try them on anything difficult for fear of twisting an ankle. But if you follow Maverick's exploits, you'd know that he's an absolute animal. :)
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

As it happens, twisting an ankle is exactly my concern. Yesterday I went to a variety of local stores shopping for either trail runners or light wright boots. Those that I prefered were not to be found in my size, so I bought a (relatively) cheap pair of Merrell's to get me by for a while.