Glen Aulin - Campsites

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Jason
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Glen Aulin - Campsites

Post by Jason »

Hi Everyone,

I've been reading and enjoying HST for a while, but this is my first post.

My wife and I are doing an easy two nighter to explore the Glen Aulin area next weekend; June 26th-28th.

Our permit says first night in Glen Aulin, but does that mean we have to stay in the actual Glen Aulin backpackers campground or can we head off somewhere else for more solitude? I wouldn't mind staying in the campground, but I just want to be aware of our options.

If we can camp elsewhere, any suggestions regarding sites? I read a general description on another forum about some rock outcroppings before California Falls.

Any other suggestions or tips would be appreciated.

thanks,

Jason
Mike M.
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Glen Aulin - Campsites

Post by Mike M. »

I think you can camp just about anywhere you want, regardless of the proposed itinerary shown in your permit. Glen Aulin is pretty but very crowded -- there is an established High Sierra Camp there (canvas tents, meals offered). I'm not into that, so would recommend avoiding it. I don't know if the High Sierra Camp is open this early in the season.

The water should be high and the falls spectacular this time of year.

One other thing: do you have your actual permit in hand? On the east side, out of Inyo National Forest's office in Bishop, we make wilderness permit reservations ahead of time, but must pick up the actual permits before we hit the trail. Permits can be picked up the day before or the day of departure. At that time, you are asked to give the ranger a general itinerary, your best guess about where you might camp, but you are not required to adhere to it. The only hard and fast requirement is that you not change your point of entry, as these are subject to quotas.

Mike
gochicagobears!
Topix Acquainted

Post by gochicagobears! »

jason,
i hiked from tuolomne meadows to glen aulin last year for a "weekender" and agree with the prior post. the HSC attracts crowds and noise.
if you follow the trail down the canyon about .5 miles you begin to see campsites along the river. i spotted them when dayhiking to fish and checked a couple of them out... there were well established fire rings and good tree cover for sun protection. however, i didn't see any signs that said they were approved sites (but i wasn't looking for them either). anyway, you might want to double-check with the rangers in Tuolomne Meadows just to be sure.

have a great time!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I think there are two types of permits for Glen Aulin: 1) Glen Aulin, and 2) Glen Aulin pass-through. I don't think they require you to stay in the backpackers campground. You should be ok whereever you find an existing campsite (fire ring). West towards California Falls, there are some fantastic places to camp just below and around Wildcat Point.

I will add that Glen Aulin keeps the restrooms open after camp teardown in late sept, which was a very pleasant surprise. Not that you need to worry about that, but I used to frequent that area when there were still fish in my favorite lakes in the area.

Also, if you want to save some distance, start from the Stables parking lot. you can either do the horse trail up out the backside of the stables, or go via Soda springs (?) The horse trail is a little shorter.
snusmumriken
Topix Regular

Post by snusmumriken »

Yes Glen Aulin HSC backpackers campground does get crowded. Most people stay in the lower part of the campground that has the toilets and the bearboxes. For a more scenic experience follow the signs for the higher numbered sites that are up the hill. These are spaced farther apart, are shielded from the next site by rocks and trees and each one has a nice view.
If you stay at Glen Aulin campground you can inquire if the High Sierra Camp has any spots left for dinner. It's quite a treat to eat a restaurant style meal in the backcountry.

Don't forget your bear canister (can be rented at the wilderness center for $5). The bears do come around at night.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

snusmumriken wrote:Don't forget your bear canister (can be rented at the wilderness center for $5). The bears do come around at night.
Forgot to mention, the bears are thick downstream to the west as well. Thanks for the reminder snusmumriken. Also, if you happen to meet a ranger on the trail, he will check you for your permit and canisters. They usually hang around right below the blasted rock crossing right before your descent into the lower Glen trail. The horse rangers will meet you much sooner at the creek crossings.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Just wondering out loud here, but...
Why would you want to hike all that way,
haul all that weight,
and then camp right atop (or close enough to that you can hear the night farts of)
another party, as in camping at the Glen Aulin HSC? (or at any HSC for that matter...well, other than Merced.)
Sure, the "served family style" meals are first rate...if you can afford it...~$25...
Always worth it to ask if, and it sure beats anything that you have on your back.
At Glen Aulin though, I always camp back in the trees, over that little hill, maybe back 1/8 mile down river towards the falls...better fishing.
Same as with staying over a night at LYV (Camping?) and their famous crapper campsite...nice.
Much better to stay 1 level mile further up river, Morraine Dome Waterslide, and maintain the wilderness flavor...IMHO.
just my daydreaming 2¢
Mountainman who swims with trout
Jason
Topix Regular

Post by Jason »

Wow! Thanks for all the replies.

I think I've settled on finding a site past HST if possible, and after I check in with the Rangers to make sure it's okay.

We've got a bear cannister, so all we need to do is finish packing, get our permit that morning and hit the trail. I'm really looking forward to it.

I'm also hoping that the cool weather lately has kept the mosquitoes under control. I'll post a trip report when we get back.

Thanks for the help.

Jason
gochicagobears!
Topix Acquainted

Post by gochicagobears! »

jason,
have a great time!
there's nothing like being "out there"
kgw
Topix Acquainted

Post by kgw »

In epochs gone by, my wife and I went from Toulume to Glen Aulin, up Virginia Creek to Lower McCabe Lake: beautiful spot.