TR: Kaweah Basin June '09

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Kaweah Basin June '09

Post by TehipiteTom »

Dang Mike M, I'm getting vertigo just looking at those pics.

Or maybe it's just been a long time since lunch, and I'm dizzy from hunger. Maybe both.
;)
treadwell
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by treadwell »

markorr wrote:Thanks for the TR and pics CG, hopefully it will help with our planning for next week. Congrats for sticking it out and making the full trip in spite of all the bad weather.

I tried to do a loop out of MK last Thursday but got turned around by a white out and 100% snow coverage at Sawtooth Pass. I had no idea where to go down from there b/c visibility was about 5 feet, other than blind faith in the compass. When I got back to the car 6 hours after setting out (my shortest BP'ing trip ever) a marmot had climbed over the chicken wire fence around my car and proceeded to chew on the insulation in my engine. no major damage done though. So despite what the rangers say, if I wrap my car well enough, I'm going to leave my hood closed next time

I'm sensing a requirement for a "car cannister" in my future.... :D
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

TehipiteTom wrote:Dang Mike M, I'm getting vertigo just looking at those pics.

Or maybe it's just been a long time since lunch, and I'm dizzy from hunger. Maybe both.
;)
Yeah, I'm not real comfortable with heights, and this is one pass right on the edge of my comfort level!

My first time up in 1975, I was guided by a girlfriend who knew the route from a previous visit. It's only the last 30 feet or so that has any exposure, and this is bypassed completely if you are willing to fuss around in the loose chute. We chose to move to the rock, not look down, and keep on moving . . . . I'm sure it's not as exposed as it looks, else I would have **** my pants!
markorr
Topix Acquainted

Post by markorr »

treadwell wrote: I'm sensing a requirement for a "car cannister" in my future.... :D
Wouldn't that be a carsized Marmot Canister (TM)?
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Great TR and photos (crazy wx) - thanks for posting.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

CG, I'll add my voice to the multitude of thanks. I was particularly interested since I'm considering a trip to Kaweah Basin this September.

Maverick -- thanks for the tip that Pyra-Queen is the easiest entry.

For those who have done this trip, would you recommend starting from Wolverton or MK (assuming the marmots are full by September)? I had my eye on approaching 9 Lake Basin from Glacier Pass and Black Rock Pass.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

To me the Crescent Meadow approach is the quickest using the freeway known
as the HIgh Sierra Trail.
If you take off early enough you can make Nine Lakes Basin in a day, though in
September the days are shorter so you could probably make it to Hamilton.

Queen-Pyra is the small chute in the middle of the ridge going from left to right above
the snow patch.
http://maverick.zenfolio.com/img/v6/p707623398-5.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Maverick, thanks for posting the picture. Do you mean the tiny notch just to the right of that small pyramid type outcropping? (Or is that an incredibly stupid question given that the name of it is Pyra-Queen?)

I've never backpacked out of the main part of Sequoia, and am not sure I like that "freeway" description! :) I have been over Black Rock Pass to Little and Big 5 Lakes, and that route is pretty nice.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

quentinc wrote:For those who have done this trip, would you recommend starting from Wolverton or MK (assuming the marmots are full by September)? I had my eye on approaching 9 Lake Basin from Glacier Pass and Black Rock Pass.
I'd agree with maverick that Crescent Meadow is probably the quickest approach. I'd say Mineral King has a lot of potential sidetrips that - if Kaweah is your main goal - could also slow a hiker down quite a bit. I've hiked towards Kaweah from Shepherds Pass, Roaring River, and Crescent Meadow and of those routes Crescent was by far the fastest.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Q

Look at the ridge in the middle and you'll see that area that looks like sand and
follow that up and then to the left you see that snow patch starting, look above
that and you see a tiny sliver of "sand" at an angle going from left to right.
By the way "freeway" was meant as it being very moderate in elevation gain which
is great for going fast at least till Bearpaw Meadow, not the human traffic.