car camping/fishing Ideas off 395

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
justm
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

car camping/fishing Ideas off 395

Post by justm »

I want to take my brothers family car camping off highway 395 ( there visiting from Texas) The scenery is so beautiful there. The problem is they like to fish, but my brother can't deal with high elevation, he's ok at around 7000 to 8000, anybody have any suggestions?
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: car camping/fishing Ideas off 395

Post by hikerduane »

Bridgeport area, Crowley Lake by Mammoth.
Piece of cake.
treadwell
Topix Acquainted

Post by treadwell »

The Red's Meadows area west of Mammoth Lakes is at that elevation. There are alot of sightseeing opportunities (Devils Postpile, Rainbow Falls, Minaret Vista, etc.) and Starkweather Lake/San Joaquin River for fishing. Don't know about reservation availability.
SkagetMuir
Topix Acquainted

Post by SkagetMuir »

You might want to check out June Lake Loop. there are some nice camp grounds and plenty of fishing in both lakes and rivers. Close by there is the walker River which holds many trophy sized browns. If you want to go abit south of there the owens valley is a great place to check out with the Owens river again being a great place to hunt for the elusive brown.
"Everyone is different, likes doing different things, but we all go to the back country for a reason, it's what we do with that reason that counts."
justm
Topix Regular

Post by justm »

Thanks for your input