Which Bear Canister?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Which Bear Canister?

Post by hikerduane »

Does that make the fourth lid now for the BV? I hope folks have the correct lid before heading out. I have the Garcia Machine, which was the only game in town for awhile. My trip a month ago, I forgot to put something cushy between my back and the canister and was too lazy later in the day to repack my pack, so I had a sore on my back all week long. Just gotta remember to put a heavy shirt, sweatshirt or fleece article inside the pack, between the Garcia canister and the pack. The thing is never going to wear out and I have a brand new one also that I was going to use for dogfood when Pooch was still alive. A flower pot by the door I guess.:)
Piece of cake.
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by MountainMinstrel »

I did an 8 day trip this year with a BV500. I worked great and I had no problems getting a weeks worth of food into it. I could have put 9 days in there easy, had I been willing to give up the "medicine".
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
ndwoods
Founding Member

Post by ndwoods »

Bearikade....:)
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Bearikade :nod:
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Bearikade :nod:
Mountainman who swims with trout
Ranboze
Topix Regular

Post by Ranboze »

Bearikade :) :D :D
Walking outside is where I find what's inside.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

My cousin and I rented the bearikade for an early mid sept. trip to SEKI. Since we avoided popular areas we didn't see any bears and few tracks or piles of poop. I hate the extra weight of the containers but they are nice when above treeline. I've always had more issues with little critters than bears and the containers deal with that problem nicely.

The big issue for me other than weight is the bulk. In my old age I am going to light as I can get. I could not get the bearikade into my Golite infinity horizontally so I had to carry it outside the main bag under the top pocket. It worked OK but the Golite pack just isn't designed for that stress. My guess is that the pack is only good for one more season so I am looking for a replacement that can take the canister internally. I went to REI and the Gregory Z-55 could take a Garcia horizontally at the bottom but it's shape and size is a little different than the Bearikade. The Z-55 is also 1/2 lb heavier than the infinitiy, but certainly more durable.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Finally replaced my old Garcia. Picked up a new BV450 as well as the BV500. Almost went the Bearikade route. The final decision for me came down to price tag and versatility in having both sizes for the price of one Bearikade. Found a pretty good deal today over at mpgear.com if anyone else is in the market. $65.69 for a BV500 and $53.99 for a BV450 with coupon code MB10628 - and Free shipping on orders over $50.
I don't take as many extended trips as a number of you do, so I'm hopeful the two cans will get me by for a while.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

On our last trip, my friends were looking at the BV at an REI in Sacto. I tried to open it, and quickly cut my finger wide open. They decided on the Garcia. :D I was looking to buy a bearikade, to replace the garcia. Price is big, but it won't cut me opening. Maybe it was me, but i was the third person that tried to open that thing.

That finger throbbed really bad all the way uphill, and complicated casting for a couple days.

The advantange of the garcia is that it's tall enough for me (6', 3") to sit on comfortably around camp. The Bearikade is 2" shorter (Weekender). The expedition is taller, but might not fit in my pack where i like it. guess i need to build a model and try and fit it. To offset the weight of the Garcia, the Weekender is the only choice; weigh/storage wise. Cost would be the only issue.

Russ
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

I've never actually cut myself opening my BV but I have barked a knuckle a couple of times. I found it's pretty easy to open if I use my pocket knife or a lighter to push on the edge of the lid instead of my fingers.
Gary C.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray