Ultralight solo tent recommendations

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Ultralight solo tent recommendations

Post by ERIC »

markorr wrote:thanks, they're selling a floorless version. I kind of like the idea of keeping the mosquitoes out.

Random question - I'm off to Mineral King in a few days, does anyone know where to buy chicken wire in San Francisco? or what else works to keep marmots out of the undercarriage of your car? Does plastic work?
Here's a photo of what one HST member did to keep them out, and here's a thread from a while back where this subject was discussed.

Hope that helps.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by MountainMinstrel »

Someone on the Backcountry Forum has one for sale at $125. I do not know them and they are new to the forum but...

http://www.backpacking.net/bbs.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

There is another one for sale by a regular on that same site. this one is 130.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
Charles2
Topix Acquainted

Post by Charles2 »

Here is a vote for the Fly Creek over the Contrail. I have had both and prefer the Fly Creek for several reasons: Smaller footprint, more wind-firm and fewer problems with condensation. My Fly Creek, with stakes, lines and a 24" x 72", light Tyvek ground cloth weighs 33.0 oz. The Contrail, seam sealed and with a non-skid coating applied to the floor. plus lines, stakes and ground cloth weighs 30.3 oz. The advantages of the Fly Creek are, to me, worth the extra three ounces.

The Contrail has a somewhat larger vestibule and is longer overall; I have had problems fitting it into tight quarters. OTOH, I'm not sure I'd recommend the Fly Creek for someone very much taller than my 5' 10".

For me, the big issue is condensation though. I have had condensation on the inside of the Contrail on several occasions under conditions where the Fly Creek has stayed dry. I have recently returned from a trip with the Fly Creek in the Rincon Mountains here in SE Arizona. Two of the three nights I was out there were intense thunderstorms. But, no leakage and no condensation. With the Contrail in similar conditions, I have had condensation but no leakage. But, with condensation and lots of big, fat, raindrops hitting the fabric the condensation gets knocked loose and onto your sleeping gear - not good!