Food caches along the JMT?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Elwood
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Food caches along the JMT?

Post by Elwood »

Does anyone know if there's a bearbox near the campground at Red's meadow? Also, would it be o.k. to leave 2-days worth of food in a marked grocery bag at the bearboxes at Red's & Tuolumne?
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Food caches along the JMT?

Post by fishmonger »

Elwood wrote:Does anyone know if there's a bearbox near the campground at Red's meadow? Also, would it be o.k. to leave 2-days worth of food in a marked grocery bag at the bearboxes at Red's & Tuolumne?
At Reds, the store will keep your food - $1/day I think. If you put it into the bear boxes, especially near the hot showers, it will become a "hiker box" and everyone will grab what they like...

Lots of bear boxes there, each camp site has one large one. Find a long-term hiker and ask if you can store it for a few days in their box if you don't want to pay the store their small fee.

Tuolumne is similar, except the store won't take it. Mail to self and pick up at the PO window in the store, or ask the hiking supply store if they do it for you. Tons of bear boxes in the campground, but you need to find somebody who will watch over it while you're not there.
Elwood
Topix Acquainted

Post by Elwood »

Thanks! I like both options at Red's & Tuolumne. Also, can I get small fuel Canisters for my Pocket Rocket at both places? And, can I count on a cooked breakfast & dinner at these spots?
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

I don't know how up to date this link is but I thought it might be of interest. You can even the GPS waypoints for bear lockers.

http://climber.org/data/BearBoxes/map.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

Elwood wrote:Thanks! I like both options at Red's & Tuolumne. Also, can I get small fuel Canisters for my Pocket Rocket at both places? And, can I count on a cooked breakfast & dinner at these spots?
if you can digest the food... yeah. Meadow Grill at TM, and a restaurant across from the store at RM.

Fuel should be there, but not sure about all the types they carry. Anything that's popular these days should be there.

got some relevant links top right of the below web page

http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/outdoor/Muir ... _links.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Be sure if you mail to the PO, you don't plan to pick up on a Sunday. It took awhile, but they were able to find a key to get our cache.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
snusmumriken
Topix Regular

Re: Bear boxes in Tuolomne

Post by snusmumriken »

I've left supplies in the bear boxes in Tuolomne many times, and they have always been there untouched when I returned.
There are bear boxes at each trail head, the idea is that they want people to empty out their cars of any extra food they may have brought and store it in the bear boxes. The nice thing is that they have a lot of boxes, so they don't tend to fill up. Glen Aulin trail head is the one just beyond the parking lot for Lembert Dome, its the closest to the grill and store.

When I was last in Reds meadow the restaurant served hamburgers all the time, and a special dinner menu that varies each night. Problem is you're supposed to reserve your dinner spot by 2 pm - otherwise your choices are limited to burgers.

Tuolomne grill is regular hamburger fare as well. The Tuolomne Lodge, a mile from the store and campground, has better food.
Elwood
Topix Acquainted

Post by Elwood »

Snusmumriken, Thanks for the post! I'm going to drop a cache at Reds, either in the bearboxes or at the store, depending on when I get there? Then on our way into Yosemite, I'll drop another one at Tuolomne. My last resupply will be at Vermilion, boy! was that box heavy, I just mailed via UPS to them. I'm not looking forward to that load my last 9-days!
sierranomad
Topix Acquainted

Re: Bear boxes in Tuolomne

Post by sierranomad »

snusmumriken wrote:I've left supplies in the bear boxes in Tuolomne many times, and they have always been there untouched when I returned.
What's the longest that you've left food there?
Jon

"When one tugs on a single thing in nature, he finds it's attached to the rest of the world". - John Muir
snusmumriken
Topix Regular

Re: Leaving food in Tuolomne bear box

Post by snusmumriken »

Mostly I've left my supplies there for just a few days while I'm on a trip. Often pack the canister at the trail head, deciding at the last minute which lunches and dinners to take with me, leaving the remainder in the bear box.