New guy on here asking for some help

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sasha
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

New guy on here asking for some help

Post by sasha »

Hi there my name is Alex i were planning a first trip of the year that wouldnt be too hard but i wanted to spend 4-5 days out in the wild. So im thinking of going to cotton wood lakes from there to new army pass and chicken lake then back to the car. Reading in a book they say it should be about 4-5 days and about 28 miles.. I been to the rocky basin lakes before so sort of familer with the area... Would anyone know how is the weather out there?? I got no tent so rather not get stuck under heavy rain. I would bring a tarp and a Bivy bag. I want this trip to be more of test to see how my knee and foot would do after an injury. Not sure of the exact day im going to leave but thinking on thursday or friday after noon. Sleep next to the car and start walking early morning of next day... Any help or advice would be highly appreciated.

Alex
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Re: New guy on here asking for some help

Post by balzaccom »

Here is the latest weather report--it is going to be cooler than usual, and more than usual chance of rain:

Thursday Through Monday...Mostly cloudy with a slight chance of thunderstorms. Highs 66 to 76 at 5000 feet...52 to 62 at 8000 feet. Lows 44 to 54 at 5000 feet...32 to 42 at 8000 feet.

My guess is that it will be freezing above 10,000 ft.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
sasha
Topix Newbie

Re: New guy on here asking for some help

Post by sasha »

Thanks it sounds as i better not even try that... New army pass i think is over 12,000ft... I dont want to find my self with a leg that gives out in the cold and snow... Just to get stuck out there lol... Any idea of a good 4-5 days trip with lots of apportunity to take pics and not many people??? I got my food all ready and the pack all ready to go in less then 2 hours... I like to go over everything before i pack it..