Purple Lake Area Question

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
bytwerk
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Purple Lake Area Question

Post by bytwerk »

I'll be taking a group of friends into the Purple Lake area from Mammoth Lakes, then through Horse Heaven and out past Big McGee Lake. I've hiked a lot in the Sierra, but not in this area. Any suggestions for ways to amuse ourselves that won't be obvious from the map?
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Purple Lake Area Question

Post by hikerduane »

Try for some goldens up at Ram Lake and the other one up there, don't have a map handy. Keep a close eye out for the trail though as it will disappear and leave you wondering where it went, if in doubt, look across the creek when you get upstream a half mile maybe or less as it crosses but looks like it continues on the right side. Horse Heaven is also Mosquito Paradise, take a side trip if time allows to Izaak Walton if you can find the trail and Lee and Cecile where good fishing can be had if into that. If you like bagging peaks, go for Red Mountain, I made it almost to the top years ago. Steelhead Lake is tough to get to beyond Magee lakes, but a very pretty setting with the mountain coming right down to the lake on the opposite side from where you camp.
Piece of cake.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Since Ram Lakes has already been mentioned, I'd put that high on the list as well. It is a trailless basin with lots of lakes, several sub-basins, and easy to get around. It is a fun place for leisurely exploring or a multi day detour.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by LMBSGV »

You also might want to go to the Cotton Lake basin below Shout of Relief and Grinnell passes. It's full of small lakes and tarns with the Silver Divide rising behind you. It's easy to get to, but not many people bother. I've been there on two separate two trips for two days each and saw a total of 3 other parties. I don't know how good the fishing is, though I did have a 10 inch trout jump out of the water and land at my feet while hopping over a tarn.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
justm
Topix Regular

Post by justm »

Fishing at Purple lake is pretty good, but it's a real busy popular lake, mainly becuase of horse people bringing in alot of people, so be ware. Ram lakes were amazing.