Easy ounce shaving tips?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
trav867
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Easy ounce shaving tips?

Post by trav867 »

I'm not a hard core ultralight guy but last year I realized that I much prefer hiking with a 20lb pack as opposed to a 40lb pack. I've been looking for easy ways to save weight (something that my new interest in SLR photography isn't helping) and was wondering if anyone has suggestions or tips they use.

I'll get it started- I've ditched the hard plastic lid on my cooking pot in favor of two sheets of tinfoil- weight savings 2oz and my boiling times are the same or have improved.

Any creative ideas?
markorr
Topix Acquainted

Re: Easy ounce shaving tips?

Post by markorr »

What's in your 40 lb pack?
I agree with you that SLR's make going light difficult. Most of my weight savings from gear is offset by my camera set up. This year I'm really trying to cut weight out of my biggest item.... me.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

I thought we covered alot of this in viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3743&start=0&hilit=pack+weigh

Russ
trav867
Topix Regular

Post by trav867 »

Yeah, I'm not hoping for a discussion of pack weights (although for the record my base weight is about 15lbs now) but more little tricks people have come up with- that warrants its own topic, right?
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

I cut the end off of my tooth brush, more so it would fit in a full canister in the evening without having to empty food out then repack it all.

No filter in the Sierra, tablets or chemicals instead.
No footprint or gc, or use a lighter weight material like polycryo or similar stuff from a home supply store used to cover windows. Learned this a few days ago. The inside use, heat to shrink/fit is the lighter weight material and the outside use material is the heavier weight. Keep it out of the sun as much as possible, set up camp late.
No tp, use a small water bottle to hose yourself so to speak.:) I have yet to try this though.
Homemade raingear out of silnylon. I have a purchased anorak that weights 4 oz. but was pricey.
Research other items that weigh less. Do with less.
Computers and a little bit of money helped me shave pounds, then ounces. A number of items may not last a life time, but the point is, I am saving tons of weight and able to do more or in the case of getting older, still able to do it. I can add a 20 oz. chair to my pack now.
Piece of cake.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

One word: Food. I can't tell you how many times i come back with extra. Not sure if it's the altitude or attitude that adjusts my eating habits, but i always bring out a couple pounds extra. Not sure if i'd give it up, as i feel extra is best, esp if i get into an extended stay.

If your at a 15lb base weight, i don't really think you can scrape much off that. Everything else you bring along is for comfort or enjoyment in the nature you wish.

Russ
DriveFly44
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by DriveFly44 »

I'm the same way with food. Always come back with a pound or two. Perhaps it is my body's adjustment to the elevation or my paranoia of not having enough food (especially if I have my gal with me or new backpackers).

LB
trav867
Topix Regular

Post by trav867 »

Good ideas- my last trip I cut down on the food I carried and easily saved a pound over 3 days, and didn't go hungry.

I traded in my camelbak for a platypus straw attachment for the 3L water container I was already carrying. 4oz difference, we'll see how it holds up!
rayfound
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by rayfound »

Eliminate packaging and containers. I just ditched my "first aid" little box of bandaids and drugs (Vicodin, Advil, benadryl, amoxicillan, and pepcid AC...just in case) in favor of a ziplock.

Eliminate un-needed duplicates. My jetboil has a self-ignitor... so I don't need a lighter AND waterproof matches... I'll just have the matches for a backup.

Don't take anything you won't need.

Don't sacrifice safety. Especially if alone... I feel less "emergency" type gear is needed if backpacking with a group of 3-4.
hikehigh
Topix Novice

Post by hikehigh »

I agree on removing packaging. So many products have things on them that aren't necessary. Lots of tags, hooks, straps, and stuff like that can be removed from sleeping bags, clothes packs and tents. I once saw a thread wear a hiker cut all the tags of his clothing and gear, I don't remember what the weight savings was, but it added up.