Backpacking Trip Ideas for mid June?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
salinas82
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Backpacking Trip Ideas for mid June?

Post by salinas82 »

My wife and I are avid hikers and we're looking to do a week long trip starting on June 12th. I'm trying to find a route that's scenic and remote, with good fishing. We're in good shape and can easily put in some long days. We're from Sacramento so I'd like to not have to travel farther than Mammoth or Bishop (if it's really worth it). So far I've been looking at hikes out of Bridgeport (Twin Lakes) and other locations around the Yosemite border.

Any suggestions!?!?! :) thanks!
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Re: Backpacking Trip Ideas for mid June?

Post by SSSdave »

The problem hiking in mid June is there is still a lot of snow in the High Sierra, especially in shadier exposures. So travel across passes and higher forest areas may be tedious and in mid forest elevations, stream crossings can be dangerous. Thus it would be wise to choose locations below about 9,000 feet. One such choice at those elevations would be Emigrant Wilderness. There are several trailheads for Emigrant but early season I would recommend the main one at Crabtree Camp. Since the main lake areas including Wood, Dear, Wire, Bucks, Emigrant Lakes are two days out and two days back, your week long trip fits well. Instead of suggesting an itinerary, I would advise you to look at some of the topo maps of that area and read some guidebooks and search for online as the usual trail sites will have considerable info. The area is known for its good fishing. Scenery is of a heavily glaciated below timberline granite landscape but without impressive craggy peaks of the High Sierra as well as northern areas of volcanic geology. The one negative is mosquitoes. However anyone backpacking in mid June ought to be aware there will be lots of squeeters up and down the Sierra Nevada because there is so much melted water about.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Dave suggestion is a good one, but if want to visit somewhere near yosemite
of further done south then try the following areas.

Peeler, Crown, and Snow Lake Circuit out of Twin Lakes.
Glen Aulin, Waterwheel/LeConte Falls out of Tuolumne Meadows.
Big Pine area (1st, 2nd, and Black Lake).
Sabrina or South Lake area (Blue, Emerald, Treasure, Rawau Lakes).
Mammoth area (Garnet, Ediza, and Thousand Island Lakes).

Call the ranger station to get a current update on snow levels, right now
there saying 9000ft, but melting fast.
Check in to see if any TR's are posted here in any of the areas that interest to you, the ranger
stations are sometimes a little behind on the most current conditions.
salinas82
Topix Novice

Post by salinas82 »

Thanks for the suggestions.

I was looking at that hike near Barney and Peeler lake and I was thinking of doing the loop out to Benson Lake and then around to Rodgers Lake and Matterhorn Canyon. I'm just not sure of the snow level on those passes (Burro, Benson, etc). I'm also worried about the mosquito levels but I guess that's going to be a problem no matter where I go in mid-June.

If you have any other tips or info, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks again!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Now your talking about doing the Northern Yosemite Loop which is 40 miles
long loop.
This is a beautiful loop trip with the Seavey Pass area being my favorite, though up
Little Slide, and then down Slide Canyon is my favorite approach to that area.
The view looking down Matterhorn Canyon from Burro Pass is really nice.
Smedberg and Sister Lakes are pretty and the good fishing is at Doe Lake.
Yes the skeetrz are bad especially at the lakes, just be ready, bring deet, and
spray your clothes with permethrin.
Volunteer Peak has a great view from the top if your into climbing, and of coarse
Matterhorn Peak itself, which is a class 2 from Burro Pass.
You will most likely have snow on Burro and especially the northern side of Benson
Pass, just be prepared.
Are you comfortable with x-country travel, since when the trail becomes covered
with snow that is what is becomes?
Are you very good at reading a topo, and compass?
Do you know how to cross a swollen creek correctly?
Being avid hikers, and backpacking 20 miles away from any type of help is a big
difference especially when we are talking about snow travel, creek crossings
in the Spring!
If you know how to tackle the above obstacles then great go for it , but if you do
not, than finding out on a trip like this you may be asking for trouble, and
the sqeetrz will be the least of your problems.
salinas82
Topix Novice

Post by salinas82 »

Yeah, I was more getting at the fact that I don't really want to be snowshoeing through anything. I've been backpacking in the Sierras a bunch and we've done a lot of long treks in Patagonia so the navigation issue won't be a problem. I just want this to be a fun remote trip for my wife and I don't think she wants to be stuck in snow most of the time. Sounds like the snow level is already at 9K so it shouldn't be that thick at those passes come mid June.
Thanks again