Best Websites?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
salinas82
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Best Websites?

Post by salinas82 »

I'm trying to do some research on a backpacking trip for this June in the Sierras and I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips regarding the best websites for hiking info. Does anybody use trails.com? Is it worth it?
Thanks!
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Re: Best Websites?

Post by MountainMinstrel »

salinas82 wrote:I'm trying to do some research on a backpacking trip for this June in the Sierras and I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips regarding the best websites for hiking info. Does anybody use trails.com? Is it worth it?
Thanks!
I think you have already found the best site for info on the Sierras. Spend some time reading here, make use of the seach function, and ask your questions. As for Trails.com, I did the trial thing and IMHO it was a total waste of time and energy.

It would be hard to name a place in the Sierras that someone on this board has not been to.

For info on ultra-light backpacking in general check out http://www.backpacking.net/bbs.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Lots of good info there even if you are not an ultralighter (I am not).
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

HIGH SIERRA TOPIX
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by TehipiteTom »

What they said--I think HST has the savviest Sierra hikers anywhere on the Stevens Tubes.

That said, you might also check out this massive link dump posted at the Backpacker Magazine forums. Lots of good sources there.
KC JED
Topix Acquainted

Post by KC JED »

This does not relate to trip planning directly, but http://www.backpackgeartest.org is a great site for learning about gear b4 you decide to buy. The descriptions are quite wordy for most of the products, but the details allow you to make an educated purchase. We all know there is nothing worse than getting stuck with crappy gear.
sierranomad
Topix Acquainted

Post by sierranomad »

I agree too, with HST.

On this forum, the advice is coming from very experienced and seasoned outdoors people. On other forums I feel like a pro; on this forum I feel like a newbie.

A website that I think is very well put together; informative and enjoyable is YosemiteFun.com
Last edited by sierranomad on Sat May 30, 2009 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon

"When one tugs on a single thing in nature, he finds it's attached to the rest of the world". - John Muir
markorr
Topix Acquainted

Post by markorr »

Whitney Portal Store message board has some good info as well. I sometimes read the Southwest forums on backpacker.com