camping on 120 west of Yosemite?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
adam
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

camping on 120 west of Yosemite?

Post by adam »

I'm writing because I have some friends interested in visiting Yosemite Valley, and apparently all the NPS campgrounds are full. Are there campgrounds in the national forest west of the park fairly close to 120, or perhaps in hetch hetchy area? This could be anything from full-on car campground to just an undeveloped area where camping is allowed.

A second question: are all the campsites (besides camp 4) reserved, or are any left first-come, first-serve. They could come mid-week and early in the day, so presumably their odds wouldn't be that bad (or am I just horribly naive?).

It's been a long time since I've tried to car-camp around there-- pardon the ignorance, and thanks for the help!

-adam
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Re: camping on 120 west of Yosemite?

Post by balzaccom »

There is a first-come, first served campground right at the entrance station at Hogdon Meadows...and except on the weekends, you can usually find a spot if you arrive early.

There are also some campgounds in the Stanlislaus national Forest west of Yosemite, as well as some private camgrounds. And if you have your own water or filter, I think it is still legal to camp anywhere in a national forest--as along as you don't expect anything but a flat piece of ground.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Allyn
Topix Acquainted

Post by Allyn »

There are some campsites in the National Forest along 120 west of Yosemite.

Starting around Buck Meadows there is a forest service campground near the forest service office before you get to Buck Meadows (just pas the long straight stretch east of Smith Station Road).

Next is just past Buck Meadows on the north of the road before Rim of the World. Then right past Rainbow Pools bridge and the road to Mather.

Next is a private campground in Hardin Flat that I believe allows non-members to camp at.

Next would be along Evergreen/Mather Road towards Hetch Hetchy called Diamond O.

Past these you get into the park.

There are many places to camp along these roads that are not campgrounds as well.
adam
Topix Acquainted

Post by adam »

they ended up camping somewhere along hardin flat road, which worked out great. Thanks for the help!