Evolution Valley in late May

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
brian
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Evolution Valley in late May

Post by brian »

I'm a virgin to Kings Canyon / Sequoia part of the sierra, and my gal and I are going up Sunday for 4 nights & 5 days. I want to go to the Evolution Valley area. I hear there's an 80% chance the Florence Lake ferry will be operating then.

Does anyone have a sense for what conditions might be like up that area around this time?

We have warm gear, but are hoping to not bring crampons, axes or any mountaineering gear.

Thanks in advance.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Evolution Valley in late May

Post by TehipiteTom »

The SeKi trail conditions page is reporting "winter conditions" for Evolution Basin & Valley, but based on where they're saying trails are clear elsewhere, I'd guess the trail is probably prettty clear at least up to the Evolution/Goddard Canyon junction. Beyond that, it's anybody's guess. Even if you don't run into snow on the way up to, or in, Evolution Valley, Evolution Creek is likely to be a formidable obstacle (depending on how comfortable you are with crossing deep and swift-moving streams).
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

My guess is the same as Toms and as he mentioned, Evolution Creek is an obstacle in early season. The regular crossing may have some swift currents. There is an alternative crossing you can use further east up towards the meadow where the water isn't as bad and doesn't flow right into a cascade.
brian
Topix Newbie

Post by brian »

How deep and wide are the crossings?
How do people usually do it? Sandals or boots?
Are the crossing options well marked?

Thanks, Brian
copeg

Post by copeg »

Here's a description better than I can offer:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3696&p=23907#p23907" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How deep and wide depends upon the runoff and melt. Crossing in the morning can be better because the melt from the afternoon before has had time to 'flush', but this may not always be the case.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

Photos below are from July 10 2006, high snow year, but 6 weeks later in the season, so probably similar to what you're looking at for the area right now:

http://www.pbase.com/aarondoss/pct_best&page=17" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rosabella
Founding Member

Post by Rosabella »

Fishmonger, your pictures are beautiful! I love the "Classic Alpenglow".

I have a picture very similar to your picture looking up to the ceiling of the Muir Hut. That hut is so beautiful; I'm thinking about hauling some water up there to spend a night up in the hut on my JMT this summer... something I've always wanted to do. I may have to tuck a couple sticks of incense in my bear canister, just for old time sake. :)
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

Rosabella wrote:Fishmonger, your pictures are beautiful! I love the "Classic Alpenglow".

I have a picture very similar to your picture looking up to the ceiling of the Muir Hut. That hut is so beautiful; I'm thinking about hauling some water up there to spend a night up in the hut on my JMT this summer... something I've always wanted to do. I may have to tuck a couple sticks of incense in my bear canister, just for old time sake. :)
actually not my pictures in this case, but I bookmarked them because they were really good

we spent the night in the Muir Hut last summer - highlight of my kid's hike - water is really close, about 20 mins below the top. We got there with headlights after sunset, but there was no way to stop them and make camp - they really wanted to get to that hut that night, and they made it a 19.5 mile day to get there.