Tuolumne Meadows Trails - Opening Date?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sierranomad
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Tuolumne Meadows Trails - Opening Date?

Post by sierranomad »

Greetings:

I just heard that Tioga Road is open.

I've not gone to TM early before, so don't know how early in the season the trails can typically be hiked. I am hoping to make a trip there June 12. Do you expect any of the trails to be open that early? If not, when might I have a chance of some of the shorter trails (i.e. Cathedral Lakes or Glen Aulin)?

Thank you,

Jon
Jon

"When one tugs on a single thing in nature, he finds it's attached to the rest of the world". - John Muir
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Tuolumne Meadows Trails - Opening Date?

Post by maverick »

Hi Sierranomad

The first 2 weeks Tioga opens is the best time to visit Waterwheel and LeConte
Falls near Glen Aulin because this is when the run-off will be able to be viewed
at its peak.
You will have snow at Toluomne Meadows, but once you get down lower on the river
the snow will be gone and you can pick up the trail.
The trail at California Falls will most likely be flooded and can be by-passed by
skirting the cliff closely or by wearing some water shoes.
Most likely some people will have all ready gone down to the area so there will
be path in the snow that you can follow at the top part of the trail, if any snow
is left.
You can camp at Glen so you will not have to carry bear canisters if you desire.
Last edited by maverick on Wed May 20, 2009 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sierranomad
Topix Acquainted

Post by sierranomad »

Great info! Thanks Maverick!
Jon

"When one tugs on a single thing in nature, he finds it's attached to the rest of the world". - John Muir
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

If the weather stays the way it is now, there won't be snow at Tuolumne Meadows on June 12. Actually, I'd be surprised if there will be significant snow under 10,000 feet anywhere.

the sensors show 6" of snow left at Tenya Lake today, while the Tyuolumne Meadows sensors are either broken or it really is already 0.0 inches

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/snowsurvey_sno/PAGE6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Up at Tioga Pass, there's maybe a foot of snow left, based on the 5 day old webcam image. Just two weeks ago there were at least 3 feet.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

maverick wrote:Hi Sierranomad

The first 2 weeks Tioga opens is the best time to visit Waterwheel and LeConte
Falls near Glen Aulin because this is when the run-off will be able to be viewed
at it peak.
You will have snow at Toluomne Meadows, but once you get down lower on the river
the snow will be gone and you can pick up the trail.
On the trail to the Glen, you still have to cross Delaney and Dingley Crks, so expect high run-off on those at this time of year. At least plan to get a little wet.

Russ
sierranomad
Topix Acquainted

Post by sierranomad »

fishmonger wrote:If the weather stays the way it is now, there won't be snow at Tuolumne Meadows on June 12. Actually, I'd be surprised if there will be significant snow under 10,000 feet anywhere.
Thanks, fishmonger. That's good news? :eek: Well, for my hiking plans anyway.
rlown wrote: On the trail to the Glen, you still have to cross Delaney and Dingley Crks, so expect high run-off on those at this time of year. At least plan to get a little wet.
Russ
Good. :smirk:

That will give me a little more preparation for my JMT hike in July.
Jon