Ground sheets, what do you use?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
js hill
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Ground sheets, what do you use?

Post by js hill »

I just purchased a new tent from REI and I also purchased a "Footprint" for it. This footprint weighs almost three quarters of a pound which adds to the weight of my ultra light tent. In the past I used a sheet of plastic which weighed less than 12 ozs. A backpacker friend uses a piece of Tyvek for his ground cloth. I was wondering what might work well and weigh as little as possible? If anybody has any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks, js hill
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Ground sheets, what do you use?

Post by rlown »

Ok,

I'm thinking we're looking for a guinea pig here, so i'll jump in. I use a heavy 9x12 green tarp for a ground cloth, when in a group of 3 or more. Yes, it's heavy, but it's for 3. We tried plastic, but it's more noisy in the wind. For a tent, plastic is fine if you don't move around a lot and compromise the plastic. Nylon "footprints" work the best and are light.. I kinda liked the Tyvek idea.

Russ
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

The majority of the time I use either a plastic painters tarp (3mil) or nothing. I've tried a 1mil plastic tarp but that has a serious tendency to get holes. I've always wanted to try out Tyvek, but I've never put the time in to find a source for it.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

trailblazer, you can buy Tyvek by the foot on EBAY.
Gary C.

http://sporting-goods.search.ebay.com/t ... catZ159043" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

trailblazer wrote:The majority of the time I use either a plastic painters tarp (3mil) or nothing. I've tried a 1mil plastic tarp but that has a serious tendency to get holes. I've always wanted to try out Tyvek, but I've never put the time in to find a source for it.
I think you can get it at Lowe's.

To the OP, I've used both "painter's plastic" and Tyvek. They both protect well, but to me the plastic was more pliable and easier to use. Seems like lots of people use Tyvek, though.
I'm surprised the footprint from REI weighs so much.
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

Tyvek is noisy at first, tough, but heavy. From Gossamer Gear, I use their polycryo gc. Check the width, may not be wide enough for all. I cut it down to length to use with my Squall and it's around 3 oz. by then. Comes in a package of two, you need tape to separate the edges to open it up the first time. Keep it out of the sun or it will get brittle in time or shrink if conditions are right. Tough stuff for being so light, but watch for tears where you cut it, as those will keep going if you don't catch them early.
Piece of cake.
copeg

Post by copeg »

Thanks for the sources for Tyvek Gary and Tom!

Duane, the Gossamer cloth looks very similar to the painters cloth I've used in the past, although I don't know the thickness and can't say they're the same - but 3oz sounds nice (mine cut down was 5oz for a descent sized 1 person ground cloth)
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

am I the only one who just uses the tent, without additional footprint? I figure I paid for a waterproof tent floor and lightweight tent, why should I haul some additional plastic around?

In the past I used to put a poncho under the tent, but I don't bring those any longer either, nor do I think they really did more than pick up dirt and added one more item to clean/fold in the morning.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

fishmonger wrote:am I the only one who just uses the tent, without additional footprint? I figure I paid for a waterproof tent floor and lightweight tent, why should I haul some additional plastic around?
My worry has always been that a rock/twig, etc will puncture a hole in my waterproof tent floor. I assume that's not happened to you ?
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

hikerduane wrote:... From Gossamer Gear, I use their polycryo gc. Check the width, may not be wide enough for all. I cut it down to length to use with my Squall and it's around 3 oz. by then. Comes in a package of two, you need tape to separate the edges to open it up the first time. Keep it out of the sun or it will get brittle in time or shrink if conditions are right. Tough stuff for being so light, but watch for tears where you cut it, as those will keep going if you don't catch them early.
I've been looking at those for precisely the same use as yours (under my Squall). Thanks for the endorsement -- I think I'll go for it.
—B²